Gun Club Deeds And Other Places

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

I have been searching out deeds for Gun Clubs and figured I would pass along some of the info I find on them and other places. This is a work in progress.

Pinewood Antler Club on the South side of Route 532 between Chatsworth and 72. Now, since the deed is vague on it's location, I am pretty certain it is the current location and it is mentioned the tract is in Woodland Township. All the deeds going back call Route 532 Tom's River Road and the location is on the south side of the road. So it seems to fit. You will be surprised who use to own this property!

IMG_0915a.jpg

3.jpg

1.jpg

4.jpg

Then I traced back to who William Oldershaw acquired it from.

Mary Elliott, single woman of the city of Baltimore
To
William D. Oldershaw

11/10/1926

Then to who Mary Elliott acquired it from.

John M. Elliott of Surry County Virginia, Mary and Bert Stone LaPlata County Colorado, Thomas W. Elliott Pueblo County Colorado, J. R. Elliott of Malheur County Oregon, and various others from Monmouth County NJ.
To
Mary Elliott

11/20/1924

And then it gets interesting but Mary is now called Ann. I assume Mary inherited it from her mom.

Francis R. Chetwood and Elizabeth P. Chetwood, his wife. FYI, Chetwood owned the Oswego Tract and others.

To

Ann Elliott

1/1/1870

And then who Chetwood acquired it from

Thomas P. Barkalow
To
Francis R. Chetwood

9/14/1858

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Do not confuse this gun club with the current Pioneer Sportsman Club near Friendship Bogs or with the one on Stevenson Road.

June 13, 1927

John H. Ritzendollar and others
To
Pioneer Rod and Gun Club Chatsworth

I have to believe the development around Prince Street is called Vicksburg.

Vicksburg.jpg

Then on 11/15/1930 Ritzendollar sold them another lot(s)

And on 3/4/1946 Pioneer Rod and Gun Club
To
Old Borough Gunning Club

And on 3/29/1961 Old Borough Gunning Club
To
River-Del Gun Club

IMG_7890a.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Pinesbucks and Boyd

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
This is interesting. I see that Shell Oil went around to many many multiple people and even cranberry bog owners and received permission to drill for oil for ten years. Many of the well known cranberry bog owners agreed and signed up. This was 1945.

Here is one sample example. Evans & Wills, owner of Friendship Bogs.

Shell1.jpg

Shell2.jpg

Reactions: Boyd

Wick

Explorer
Mar 6, 2016
Forked River
Oil in the pines????? Apparently not just for oil. The paper says gas, sulphur or any minerals. That is a pretty vague statement, Do you think Shell new about something in the works and this was there way to get the rights? Besides sand gravel and clay. What important minerals are available in the pines

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It appears there was a gun club called the "Stage Road Gun Club" at Maxwell. The way I read it the gun club purchased the Maxwell property from Charles Herbert Maxwell 9/14/1942.
I assume it was called Stage Road Gun Club because the Tuckerton Road went right through the property.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Since I added "Other Places" to the name of this thread I will pass along this info about my family. My grandmother had mentioned to me years ago that our family owned a farm in Mt. Laurel somewhere. I believe I even have photos from there. Anyway, I was searching old deeds and found that 4/7/1923 was the date my great grandmother acquired it from a man named Samuel Holmes. Notice it says she paid Thirteen Hundred and seven HUNDRED dollars. Something wrong there. The property was right at the Eayrestown Millpond along the Rancocas Creek.

georgetta.jpg

Unfortunately, within 4 years she would pass away even before my father was born.

Screen Shot 2022-01-15 at 2.41.03 PM.png

DSC_0393a.jpg

eayrestown mill pond.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
This is interesting.

Indian Mills Deer Club on Atsion Road

imdc.jpg

imdc1.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Then 6 years later after Rose died, Howard Bozarth gave them more property adjacent to it with the same stipulation mentioned above.

Reactions: RednekF350

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Leeson Small, who is mentioned in this deed, was the caretaker of the Wharton Estate. He lived in Atsion.
Bill Schemel (Y-Buc Bill) told me that before the Estate was sold to the State of NJ, he would have to obtain a written hunting permission each deer season from Leeson in order to hunt in what is now Wharton State Forest. I wish I could have obtained a copy of one of those permits.

Reactions: Boyd

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Strange spelling for Bozarth, coming from that area.
Howard Bozarth Jr. is a local surveyor who is still practicing and there is Bozarthtown Road in Taberncale today.
Most likely spelled wrong.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The Jones Mill Gun Club apparently was located in the close vicinity of Dukes Bridge.

Jones Mill Gun Club.jpg

jones mill.jpg

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Then 6 years later after Rose died, Howard Bozarth gave them more property adjacent to it with the same stipulation mentioned above.
It would be interesting if Indian Mills decided to sell with those rights of reversion in place. The surviving Bozearths and the Bozarths would have to fight it out in court. :)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I was looking over gun club deeds and noticed that the Elmer Deer Club in 1938 purchased the property which currently is the state Pinelands Community Home at the intersection of 679 and 563 near Harrisville. They purchased it from Charles Edwin Broome and at the time of purchase was used as a farm and Isarel Broome resided there. The deed also confirms to me that the original road from Harrisville to Jenkin's Neck and north was this road between the property and the Oswego Swamp shown by the pointer next to the farm.

Broome.jpg

I have not however been able to find the sale of the property by the Elmer Gun Club. When the state acquired Wharton they claimed the property as their own so sometime between the purchase of the farm and the Wharton purchase they gave ownership up. Even though the Broome family sold this particular property, Emma Cramer (maiden name Broome) and Garfield Broome kept ownership of the bog to the east of there shown in the above photo. Emma would pass away on 9/20/1959 just after Wharton was acquired and is buried in the Miller Cemetery in New Gretna. On the corners and along the edges of that bog the family left their mark with at least two inscribed stones, with this blurry one telling us that Arthur Garfield Broome (AGB) once owned it. I will be getting a better photo before the summer.

IMG_3171a.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The Red Top Gun Club was located not far from the current Red Top road stand near the Red Lion Circle on the "Road leading from Red Lion to the Red Lion Circle." On December 13, 1947 they acquired the property from A. Evelyn Bates and his wife Helen. The gun club was doing business in Glassboro before coming there.

The Bates couple mentioned above acquired the property in May 1920.