Gun Club Deeds And Other Places

Pineman32

Dec 4, 2006
Jenkins Neck, NJ
I was looking over gun club deeds and noticed that the Elmer Deer Club in 1938 purchased the property which currently is the state Pinelands Community Home at the intersection of 679 and 563 near Harrisville. They purchased it from Charles Edwin Broome and at the time of purchase was used as a farm and Isarel Broome resided there. The deed also confirms to me that the original road from Harrisville to Jenkin's Neck and north was this road between the property and the Oswego Swamp shown by the pointer next to the farm.

View attachment 16677

I have not however been able to find the sale of the property by the Elmer Gun Club. When the state acquired Wharton they claimed the property as their own so sometime between the purchase of the farm and the Wharton purchase they gave ownership up. Even though the Broome family sold this particular property, Emma Cramer (maiden name Broome) and Garfield Broome kept ownership of the bog to the east of there shown in the above photo. Emma would pass away on 9/20/1959 just after Wharton was acquired and is buried in the Miller Cemetery in New Gretna. On the corners and along the edges of that bog the family left their mark with at least two inscribed stones, with this blurry one telling us that Arthur Garfield Broome (AGB) once owned it. I will be getting a better photo before the summer.

View attachment 16678
The state purchased the Elmer property in the early 1970’s. The building had been abandoned for many years, and was in disrepair when purchased by the state. The building and approximately 8 acres of land were purchased for the reported sum of $47,000. I remember accompanying my father when he delivered bread, soda etc. to the club back in the early 1960’s.

Reactions: Teegate and Boyd

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Thanks for the info. I will again look for the sale and carry it down if possible. Most likely the sale may have been between a person representing the club and the state so I may not find it.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The state purchased the Elmer property in the early 1970’s. The building had been abandoned for many years, and was in disrepair when purchased by the state. The building and approximately 8 acres of land were purchased for the reported sum of $47,000. I remember accompanying my father when he delivered bread, soda etc. to the club back in the early 1960’s.

Well, I did find the deed. The Elmer Deer Club sold it to the state on 11/26/1974 for $35,000. It is 9.15 acres more or less.

elmer deer club.jpg

Reactions: Pineman32 and Boyd

Trailwalker

Scout
Sep 5, 2023
(ex-piney) in Florida
Oil in the pines????? Apparently not just for oil. The paper says gas, sulphur or any minerals. That is a pretty vague statement, Do you think Shell new about something in the works and this was there way to get the rights? Besides sand gravel and clay. What important minerals are available in the pines
Didn't Beck mention something about Prospertown in Jackson being named for the oil drilling and the hope foe future prosperity from this venture which never panned out?