happy holidays everyone

B

bach2yoga

and to you, as well, Merry Christmas, Happy Hannaka (that's done, huh?) and Yule and Kwanzaa...
One and All, and make it one a raspberry hot chocolate for me! :)
Renee

B

BarryC

Raspberry hot chocolate? That sounds different.
Actually I think that one holiday is spelled Chanukah or Channukah. Something like that. It's different than you would expect.

B

BarryC

Yes. Merry Christmas to all. And Happy Holidays. It is now officially Christmas Day, by a few minutes and I still haven't wrapped the gifts. LOL.
Barry
BEHR655 said:
Merry Christmas everyone. Happy Holidays

JerseyDevil

Scout
Dec 22, 2003
Jackson, NJ
Ho Ho Ho...
santagremmy.bmp

B

bach2yoga

BarryC said:
Actually I think that one holiday is spelled Chanukah or Channukah. Something like that. It's different than you would expect.

Actually that depends on whether or not you are using the Sephardic or the Ashkenazik spelling; both are acceptable.

And raspberry hot cocoa is to die for! mmm....

Renee

B

BarryC

Oh really? Wow. That's interesting! Sometimes I wonder when I see multiple spellings of things. Sometimes they are all correct. Maybe I'll get to try raspberry hot chocolate sometime.
I had a good Christmas. I hope everyone did.
Barry
bach2yoga said:
BarryC said:

Actually that depends on whether or not you are using the Sephardic or the Ashkenazik spelling; both are acceptable.

And raspberry hot cocoa is to die for! mmm....

Renee

B

bach2yoga

BarryC said:
Oh really? Wow. That's interesting! Sometimes I wonder when I see multiple spellings of things. Sometimes they are all correct. Maybe I'll get to try raspberry hot chocolate sometime.
I had a good Christmas. I hope everyone did.

That particular word has like 16 different spellings, believe it or not, and all are acceptable!!!! Unreal, huh? The H is a gutteral fricative like the German, so linguists tend to prefer the H, because otherwise you wind up with people saying "ch" like church or chair, lol!

Words like sabbath--shabbos, shabbot--all the same, depending on Ashkenazik or Sephardic, and the Jewish holiday Succos aka Succot is the same. The Ashkenazik have the German background, and the Sephardic immigrated to Spain and South America then to North America, hence the difference in spelling and pronunciations.

(I had a triple major in college, one was a biblical languages, koine Greek and biblical Hebrew)

Renee