Harris Station - a Theory

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I see wolfspider05 made it to the 87 mile marker. He also uploaded a few other interesting photo's. Wolfspider....maybe you could tell us about them.

Guy

suresue592003

Explorer
Apr 4, 2004
Browns Mills, NJ
Rich

In one of your last few post, you mentioned Goodrich and Clayburger owning bogs in Hampton. Goodrich and Clayburger also owned bogs in the area of Buttersworth Bogs Road in Tabernacle. When we lived in the house on Carranza Road, my dad worked for Goodrich and Clayburger. If memory serves me, I remember him saying that they were two very rich men from New York.

suresue592003

Explorer
Apr 4, 2004
Browns Mills, NJ
Ben you are right. Parkdale did have a railroad station that burned down during the time period mentioned. I was told a couple of guys from Hammonton did it on mischief night. I heard that they also set fire to an old wooden foot bridge in the same area. There was definately houses in Parkdale and Sandy Ridge as well as railroad stations.

wolfspider05

Explorer
Nov 12, 2004
Riverside Nj
Hi guys,
This article inspired me to go out and explore the area yesterday near AP hill and the old railroad. I am not sure what i've found to be honest. I am guessing that the metal pipe I've found near AP hill is a mile marker? The house foundation I am guessing was part of the sanatarium. As for the concrete block I found near the railroad, maybe part of what was Harris Station? If you take the trail towards the railroad from AP hill, just before you cross the tracks there is a trail on the left, I followed it for maybe 1/8 of a mile and the block is on the right about 15 feet from the tracks. For the concrete slab that I found, I made a right at the intersection followed it about 1/4 of a mile and it is on the other side of the tracks. There is also an old wooden thing there filled with dirt that I have a pic of but I can't upload for a few days because my other computer is at best buy getting fixed. There are a few out of place trees in the area. The pile of bricks is directly behind the wooden thing. There seems to be a lot of old trash in the area too, I am guessing somebody used to dump there. The concrete slab isn't far from the tracks. Maybe it was Harris Station? Im not sure what i've found. Any imput? Thanks guys

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
As we have been discussing, the concrete along the track was the cement base of the 87 mile marker on the JCRR. They were placed every mile along the route and had a steel mile marker with the numbers on them bolted to it. All of them have been removed by vandals and collectors. One of them that was located near there is in the backyard of a man in Marlton who posted the photo a few years back.

As for the cement foundation to the right across the tracks about a quarter mile, that is all that is left of the gun club at Pine Crest. You can see my Then and Now photo of it at the below link.

http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=238&pos=21

Guy

whippoorwill

Sep 4, 2005
Joe Whartons Forest
harris station

i hope i am reading these posts correctly looking at your map u r correct i beleive someone said they though harris st. was high crossing incorrect as for on your map going down behind apple pie hill u will proceed onto harris station rd.which will take you to speedwell rd. in the small historic town of speedwell.

wolfspider05

Explorer
Nov 12, 2004
Riverside Nj
I found the well, yeah it also reminds me of that movie. I believe that I found where Harris Station once was, although there is no way of proving it and there is nothing left of it.