Harris Station

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I have the book and read it years ago when I explored Harrisville in the mid to late 70's. I always like the photo with the group on the roof of the building.

Guy

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I have the "Sugar Sand Road" book by Dellomo. It's even a signed copy. :)

They might be the same book, though. I can't see him writing two books that say the same thing.

If you have a chapter on the "Springfield Gas Machine" then it's the same book.

jokerman

Explorer
May 29, 2003
Manasquan
What a fantastic book. I read it several months ago with a pasion. I wish (very much) that so much knowledge was available for other places of industry in the pines. His diagrams were of the utmost interest. It's hard to orient yourself as to the original lineup of the original main road even once he outlines it. The old raod is barely discernable, but it allows you to really conduct a thorough walk of the old property and know what you are looking at, as far as which foundation is which. It was interestng to see how much the ground has filled in since the 70's at the sawmill remains. I can't remember if I saw a pic of the remains on this website or in the book, but the arches in the pic I saw were a lot higher than they are today. I think the gasoline lamp mechanical structure was present underneathe current pat of Route 539 (563?). In short, that book was a real landmark in pine barrens history. God Bless Delomo and let's hope that some money may be donated to save the little remaining to reinforce those standing walls that look like they are going to fall any day now.
Tom

njvike

Explorer
Jul 18, 2003
Sparta, NJ
home.earthlink.net
bruset said:
I have the "Sugar Sand Road" book by Dellomo. It's even a signed copy. :)

They might be the same book, though. I can't see him writing two books that say the same thing.

If you have a chapter on the "Springfield Gas Machine" then it's the same book.

Bruce, my mistake. They're one in the same.

Is Dellomo still alive? Also, do you know anything about Bodine Tavern?

njvike

Explorer
Jul 18, 2003
Sparta, NJ
home.earthlink.net
jokerman said:
In short, that book was a real landmark in pine barrens history. God Bless Delomo and let's hope that some money may be donated to save the little remaining to reinforce those standing walls that look like they are going to fall any day now.
Tom

I plan on making a stop there real soon. I hope those walls never come down. I was only able to see the walls from behind the fence so I don't know if anything else exists back there.

Does the state have any plans on preserving on what's left of it? I'm really not sure what can be done though. Actually, I shouldn't even ask that question. The state isn't even going to help restore the High Point Monument. The funding that was allocated has been dropped from what I've been told.

njvike

Explorer
Jul 18, 2003
Sparta, NJ
home.earthlink.net
TeeGate said:
I have the book and read it years ago when I explored Harrisville in the mid to late 70's. I always like the photo with the group on the roof of the building.

Guy

That was a great picture. Little did they know the events that would follow :shock:

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
njvike said:

It's Ben.

I don't know anything specific about Bodine Tavern. I know that right behind Harrisville there is a spot called Bodine Field.

njvike

Explorer
Jul 18, 2003
Sparta, NJ
home.earthlink.net
bruset said:
njvike said:

It's Ben.

I don't know anything specific about Bodine Tavern. I know that right behind Harrisville there is a spot called Bodine Field.

Ben, sorry about that. I keep seeing your username and keep thinking Bruce.

I'm going to see if I can find anything on Bodine Tavern.

stizkidz

Piney
May 10, 2003
Tuckerton
Bodine Field is indeed a campsite behind the Harrisville ruins. I camped here over the summer. It is right on the river and overall, a great place to camp. Also, Mr. Delamo, whom wrote the book entitled Harrisville, is still alive and was my 5th grade math teacher. He used to run a group called young pioneers and took elemtary school kids on camping and canoeing trips. I have been told by someone I went to school with that he took them to Harrisville before and explained the ruins.

-Benny

P.S. College sucks!

Reactions: efg321

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
stizkidz said:
P.S. College sucks!

So I am assuming you are working on homework or a paper, are having problems, or wish you were in the pines right now, and that is why you feel that way! If so, then I totally agree with you. :p

Guy

jokerman

Explorer
May 29, 2003
Manasquan
So was Bodine's and Washington Tavern the same place. The author of that piece says that Bodine's was Sooy's Tavern in Washington. I always thought Bodine's was down in the area of Bodine's Field. Hmm...