Harrisville 35mm scans by Tplife

Here are a couple of nice scans from Harrisville. Circa 1960, 35 mm Ektachrome. Nearly a stone's throw from my swimmin' hole.

002-1.jpg

012.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It won't be too many years and they will be half their size.

Guy

marblesmike

May 8, 2010
Rednek, thanks for the info. I went out there today and there was no way I'd miss that swimming hole! 46er and Boyd, how did you guys manage to get up close access to the ruins? I'm guessing you know park police that unlocked the gate for you?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Yea, it is not the picture "takers" they are worried about.

Guy

Across the street from the ruins.
On the north side of 679 is Harrisville Pond.
No, that's not correct. That's YOUR swimming hole. Mine is southeast of the ruins, that's all this Piney will say on the subject. Ed, the scanner is a Wolverine Film Scanner. I paid about $100 at Fry's electronics in SoCal. The shots were taken with an Argus C3 Rangefinder Camera using a light meter. I will add more shots as found as I go through my 2000+ 35 mm slides. I have McCartyVille in Summer and Winter (snow) over the years. I always visit when I'm back "home" on the way to my swimming hole...

lawdawg

Jul 29, 2010
No, that's not correct. That's YOUR swimming hole. Mine is southeast of the ruins, that's all this Piney will say on the subject....
I think I know this..but I'll keep quiet :) Hey guys, I'm a local boy to this area. Grew up in Chatsworth and moved to Tuckerton/Little Egg Harbor area in'96.. been here since. I've always wanted to check out the village ruins, or what's left of them. I have read and can surmise that the bulk of it is across from Harrisville "Pond".. the more known swimming area. How far from road's edge is everything? I'm always interested in history and constantly stop to check out things I see from the road or hear stories about. I just registered after spending the last hour reading all kinds of fascinating articles about pines history. This is a great site, glad I tripped over it!

P.S. If you guys ever want to get up close and not get in trouble I'll meet ya there.. even if the rangers catch us.. being a L.E.O. they won't mess with me too much LOL :) :)

lawdawg

Jul 29, 2010
Are you sure you don't mean SouthWest?

In reference to HIS swimming hole.. it's off the beaten path, closer to NE.. If I'm right, the rope swing was still up the last time I was there :) I do know of the place that is SW of the lake though.. Friends and I camp in that area occasionally

I think I may have found out where the ruins are though. I looked on google earth and found a marker.. just gonna have to venture out there and start walkin around.

You're right, Bob, looking at the 1906 Egg Harbor/Mullica map, it looks more southwest. No mystery here, just follow the dirt road south and it will curve around to meet the river, more of a creek here. The swinging rope was gone the last time I was out there, glad to hear it's up again. Four generations of my family have enjoyed this place, as have so many other good pinelands folks. As far as the ruins, they're quite extensive if you consider the residences in addition to the mills, stores, barns and outbuildings detailed in Pearce's Heart of the Pines. More or less cellerholes in most locations now, but winter's knockdown of the foliage should help a great deal in retracing old McCartyville. I hope to have more time to scan through more of my slides and add some small memories to this great website. I don't think Chatsville was part of our school district, only as far as Jenkins Neck I believe. Otherwise we were probably classmates at Green Bank Elementary! The old trailer we criss-crossed the USA in 8 times in the early '60s (FAA) is still sitting in Hog Wallow where we sold it and bought the old Maxwell place in Wading River. Back then you couldn't rent a place that wasn't an infested dump, thus the trailer. Can't wait to get back and in a canoe again, thank God I can always go "home". :)