Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I just read it Ben, good article. I was surprised by the booster canal. I knew there was a canal, but never knew it what it was for. I like the old photos. One thing that puzzles me is that back then, the large mill building first floor seemed level with the ground, and yet now it is quite low when viewed from the road.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
BobM said:
I just read it Ben, good article. I was surprised by the booster canal. I knew there was a canal, but never knew it what it was for. I like the old photos. One thing that puzzles me is that back then, the large mill building first floor seemed level with the ground, and yet now it is quite low when viewed from the road.

The paper mill always had the canal flowing under it. I think it's just the perspective of the photos that might be confusing...

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Very nice article Ben! A great addition to your site.

Guy

Oriental

Explorer
Apr 21, 2005
Very interseting article. You mentioned Wharton leased some of the ground to a cranberry operation. Do you happen to know who leased it and where exactly the bogs were? I have an old cranberry picking ticket that says something like Harrisville Cranberry Meadow - 2 BUSHELS - Joseph Wharton Estate. I cant's possibly imagine that cranberries were grown in Mill Pond itself. I would like to know as much as I can about his cranberry interests there or Atsion, Snady Ridge, Ancora, etc. Thanks

Rich