Harrisville Lake, recent trips?

NJTaco

Oct 18, 2006
Galloway, NJ
Has anyone paddled upstream from Harrisville Lake lately? My brother-in-law and I plan to start at the dam and paddle upriver 'till tired, then return. If time permits, we may take the woods road to Martha Furnace, or just poke around Harrisville ruins. (There are ruins, right? I have never been...and need to search a bit here.)

We intend to arrive at the lake in the early afternoon, due to work schedules.

I'm posting to find out about recent water levels, flow, etc. Are we out of our minds paddling upstream for a couple of hours? Oh, we will be in kayaks, an 11 foot Loon and a 12 foot...I don't remember, but both Old Towns. Typical rental types. We are somewhat experienced kayakers, and like to think we are in shape. Our wives may disagree...

On Edit, an afterthought, is there enough water to paddle all the way to Martha's Furnace Road? And is the bridge still there for a landmark?

Don't worry, I'll bring a camera and bug repellent...

Thanks in advance,

Bob

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
I was just up that way in kayaks a couple of weeks ago. Lake seemed high, water flow was strong but paddling was no problem other than at the shallow spots where the water rushes over gravel. Try to stay to the outside of the bends and you should be fine. We made it to the bridge below Martha, going much further would have been tiring.

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Anytime :). Oh yes, avoid the patches of water lillies and reeds in the north end of the lake. There are some very shallow bits in there and it's no fun dragging yourself across that mud, as I discovered :).