Harrisville

jokerman

Explorer
May 29, 2003
Manasquan
All good passers are welcome. The map location should be good enough. I know the best way to find it for sure is to take the long way from the Parkway exit road. The road is findable by old and new maps. You have to navigate carefully, but as long as you take the first couple of correct turns, including the one at Munion Field, you will come to it. I remember the first time doing it that way, I was very convinced I was lost, when at last, I came to Martha and Harrisville. I know it's more simple to come from Harrisville to Calico ( it would seem), but try the ride from the other way.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
B

BarryC

This: http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=1...50&size=l&datum=nad83&layer=DRG25 is what I believe to be the location of Calico. That's after much discussion with John Pearce, author of Heart of the Pines. If I've got the location on the map correct, that is where I found a house site, and it's in a beautiful location. There are two big puddles, augmented by beaver activity (mentioned by someone in another response), but the last time I went we were able to get through. After that there's a right turn into what you might call a driveway, cause it doesn't go anywhere but into the site. I have pictures, but they have not been scanned.
It's not far at all from the Ellis Adams farmhouse site. Father Beck went there with Ellis Adams' grandson. This was on their quest for Calico. I don't think he ever found it with certainty.
Barry

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Looking at the Cook map the location you marked is right next to one of the area's they display as Calico. Most towns were on both sides of the roads anyway, so I think we have narrowed it down to that intersection and North on either side of the road.

Guy