Harrisville

MuckSavage

Explorer
Apr 1, 2005
Turnersville
Last night, a friend shared with me a picture he saw on social media. It was a gal sitting in one of the "windows" of what looked like the paper mill at Harrisville & asked me to confirm his thoughts on the location. I agreed to his assumption. He then messaged the person who posted the photo & asked "Is this Harrisville & how did ya get beyond the fence?" The person responded & said "It is Harrisville & we got in thru a hole in the fence that's in back"

So my question to the forum is: I feel like I should report this, but to whom? Batsto Ranger Station?

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
If it's a crime to visit Harrisville, then lock me up. It's been many years since I went there, but in the past there was no need to find any "hole in the fence". The fence just ends at some point, and there were no signs saying to keep out the last time I was there.

Now, a few years ago somebody posted pictures here of people standing/sitting in the upper windows and I am absolutely against anyone climbing on the ruins. This was the same person who felt the graffiti at BrooksBrae was an "artistic expression".

I would not feel the need to report anyone at Harrisville unless there was evidence they were defacing the ruins. But that's just me, and I'm not in the habit of reporting people.

Last edited:

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
FWIW, here's the old thread I was thinking of. Guy posted a link to the photos, but their site is now private so you can't see them.

I wonder if this was the source of the picture you saw? Or maybe someone else saw it and wanted to do the same thing. Anyway...

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
So my question to the forum is: I feel like I should report this, but to whom? Batsto Ranger Station?

I agree, report them at the ranger station. They are no better then those that rip up the Pines. Its not difficult to understand why the fence was installed. FWIW, there are occasionally tours of Harrisville scheduled by the various state and county parks.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The fence is there for a reason.

I wonder if it is the same photo I posted about? If so, the state already knows about it. Maybe that is why the link no longer works. Thanks Boyd for remembering that.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
FWIW I became social media friends with one of the two women behind the Ventures to Anomaly site. At the time I was annoyed that they were climbing and posing for photos on the Harrisville ruins. But as I saw more of what they posted over the next few years it was clear that they did have a genuine interest in history and that their photo climbing on the ruins was just them being young. Like Guy said, if that's a crime then lock me up because I did a lot of things when I was young that I wouldn't do now.

I don't think the state would do anything if you reported this. Nobody from the DEP is going to take the time to track the people down through social media and then show up at their door. I don't know if not being caught in the act would even hold up in court.

IMHO I would let it be.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I entered Harrisville with permission from the state. Someone I know even had the key :D

Reactions: Ben Ruset

MuckSavage

Explorer
Apr 1, 2005
Turnersville
I remember years ago, on a Saturday, driving to Tuckerton for a work related service call. As I passed Pine Barrens Liquor/Deli, I saw a group of people & vehicles. I pulled over to see what was going on & y'all were about to take an open gate/guided tour of Harrisville. I met ecampbell that day!

Reactions: Boyd and Teegate

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Yea, that was the day. 4/16/2005