Have ticks always been a problem?

jburd641

Explorer
Jan 16, 2008
Port Charlotte, Fl.
Ticks for Vengeance

Can I be charged with a crime for putting a tick or several on a former bosses office chair? He was a tyrant and I must admit no pangs of guilt for doing this. No Scott, it wasn't Mike G. that recieved this treatment. He was my favorite to work for. :argh:

tugwake

Scout
Sep 15, 2008
Someone has Jeff on the brain!:rofl:

Any hiking trails near Venice?

Sorry, I meant, Jay. LOL!

Myakka State Park in Venice has about 20 something thousand acres of woodland trails some of them coming out on the beach. It's absolutely gorgeous there! There is so much to do! Oscar Sherer State Park (I think that is the name) is not nearly as big but has some nice hiking, saltwater and fresh. You could probably exhaust yourself visiting the State Parks nearby and every other attraction that is close like Busch Gardens. Don't forget to go to the Botanical Gardens in Venice, it's breathtaking! Remember to look for a Banyan tree. Those are my favorite.

Jay, PLEASE look up the wildlife down there. It is not NJ. There are six or more venomous snakes, spiders, alligators and crocks down there plus other things.

If you get stopped by any Native Americans (lots of them are troopers and police officers), they are ALL my relatives. :D

Lake Okeechobee (named by my relatives okichubi which means Big Water) is a must see. It's the largest freshwater lake in the world. You will see a lot of pythons swimming around there. Oh boy!

tugwake

Scout
Sep 15, 2008
Whoa Nelly. Pythons? Seriously? That's amazing. Makes me wanna go see for myself!

Yes, there have been quite a few exotic animals dumped in the woods/waters there. The pythons and iguanas have bred and gotten out of control. It's nothing to see a good gator vs. python fight with the python usually winning unless it's a large gator.

Hmmmm, let's see, there are also Bufo-marinus, the giant toad that can kill a small dog and blind a human, black widow spiders, brown recluse spiders, scorpions, poisonous centipedes, stick bugs, african bees and just about any other kind of lovely creature native to the tropics. You'll definitely see monkeys and a lot of fox squirrel (they look like monkeys).

It's ALL interesting as long as a person keeps their distance. Wait until Jay hears a panther scream. LOL!

jburd641

Explorer
Jan 16, 2008
Port Charlotte, Fl.
Yes, there have been quite a few exotic animals dumped in the woods/waters there. The pythons and iguanas have bred and gotten out of control. It's nothing to see a good gator vs. python fight with the python usually winning unless it's a large gator.

Hmmmm, let's see, there are also Bufo-marinus, the giant toad that can kill a small dog and blind a human, black widow spiders, brown recluse spiders, scorpions, poisonous centipedes, stick bugs, african bees and just about any other kind of lovely creature native to the tropics. You'll definitely see monkeys and a lot of fox squirrel (they look like monkeys).

It's ALL interesting as long as a person keeps their distance. Wait until Jay hears a panther scream. LOL!

Wait until the panther hears Jay scream! lol

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
What were those things anyway? I remember being dissappointed when they did not look like how they were depicted on the outside of the box.
Jeff

Brine shrimp?
Not sure myself, had 'em, raised 'em (yeah right, more like watched them become animated & die in the same afternoon) The "food" was a joke. Had much better luck with the colored crystals in water, if y'all remember those too.
Never did distinquish the littlins' scootin' about from the adults.
The biggest disappointment was that the mom was smokin' hot in the ad.
Just one more short lived wriggling piece of premature bait in real life.
Such is reality.

g.

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
Brine shrimp?
Not sure myself, had 'em, raised 'em (yeah right, more like watched them become animated & die in the same afternoon) The "food" was a joke. Had much better luck with the colored crystals in water, if y'all remember those too.
Never did distinquish the littlins' scootin' about from the adults.
The biggest disappointment was that the mom was smokin' hot in the ad.
Just one more short lived wriggling piece of premature bait in real life.
Such is reality.

g.
Ooh, yeah, I do remember those crystals! I had tehm, I think, but they are a vague memory. What were they, do you remember?

Yeah, Sea Monkeys were brine shrimp. I was pretty bummed out about them myself, they really didn't look like they were supposed to. But actually, now that you mention it, they didn't look a whole lot like monkeys, either.
I just now noticed the text at the very bottom of the ad:

Characters shown not intended to depict Artemia salina. :rofl:
seamonkeys.jpg

tugwake

Scout
Sep 15, 2008
I have never seen a Fox Squirrel in Florida, and they do not look like a monkey. And, Lake Okeechobee is not the largest freshwater lake in the world, not by a long-shot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fox_Squirrel[/QUOTE]

Pardon me, Furball. You are correct. Lake Michigan is a little larger than Lake Okeechobee. As far as fox squirrel, they are abundant in Florida. You just haven't seen one yet. The most I've seen were beyond Orlando and they were large, darker brown and sure looked like a monkey to me until I saw one up closer.

jburd641

Explorer
Jan 16, 2008
Port Charlotte, Fl.
Hey Star,
Made it to Venice and took my first extended walk 2 days ago around the airport and along the waterway. I left at 11am and let me tell you, it was blazing hot. Didn't see much except some woods I wasn't about to set foot in with shorts on. I did see some gopher tortoises though! Very awesome sighting. Felt like I was at a petting zoo. Saw a whole herd of them (3). They must be some tough critters, being out in the midday heat. I'm definitely looking forward to more Florida discoveries. I must admit, the pines here sort of remind me of the NJ Pines. I miss them already.
Sorry Ben, I know you don't like non PB talk. I'll PM Star about my further adventures now.
Looking forward to winter though when I can come back for a few weeks and hit the NJPB's again.

jburd641

Explorer
Jan 16, 2008
Port Charlotte, Fl.

Ooh, yeah, I do remember those crystals! I had tehm, I think, but they are a vague memory. What were they, do you remember?

Yeah, Sea Monkeys were brine shrimp. I was pretty bummed out about them myself, they really didn't look like they were supposed to. But actually, now that you mention it, they didn't look a whole lot like monkeys, either.
I just now noticed the text at the very bottom of the ad:

Characters shown not intended to depict Artemia salina. :rofl:
seamonkeys.jpg

A blatent(sp) case of false advertising! Imagine MY disappointment when my x-ray glasses arrived!:)

tugwake

Scout
Sep 15, 2008
Nice to hear from you, Jay! I will keep in touch and hope you do too. Don't forget to visit the Seminole Indian Reservation while you're down there. Check out an airboat ride too. You will never forget that.

I was disappointed in those childhood miracle toys too. I ordered the 10 foot Frankenstein and he had a hole in him. *sniff*

Furball1

Explorer
Dec 11, 2005
Florida

Pardon me, Furball. You are correct. Lake Michigan is a little larger than Lake Okeechobee. As far as fox squirrel, they are abundant in Florida. You just haven't seen one yet. The most I've seen were beyond Orlando and they were large, darker brown and sure looked like a monkey to me until I saw one up closer.[/QUOTE]

http://www.floridaconservation.org/viewing/species/foxsquirrel.htm

I stand corrected, however, as you can see by this article, the Florida Fox Squirrel is very limited in its scope, mostly the panhandle, also near Georgia, and South in Big Cypress (SW corner of the state). I look forward to seeing one, but the opportunities to see one in Central Florida are zero. I do not think they are as abundant in the STATE as you portrayed. Lake Michigan is MUCH larger than Okeechobee, 22,000+ sq. miles as opposed to 740 sq. miles.

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Pardon me, Furball. You are correct. Lake Michigan is a little larger than Lake Okeechobee.

Well then wouldn't Lake Superior be a lot larger, since it has about 9k more sq. mi. of surface area than Lake Michigan? Or are you counting Huron as well? Hydrologists consider Michigan and Huron to be one lake.