Have ticks always been a problem?

grendel

Explorer
Feb 24, 2006
Fredericksburg VA
Well then wouldn't Lake Superior be a lot larger, since it has about 9k more sq. mi. of surface area than Lake Michigan? Or are you counting Huron as well? Hydrologists consider Michigan and Huron to be one lake.

Lake Baikal is the world's largest freshwater lake in terms of volume. It contains about 5521 cubic miles of water (23,000 cubic kilometers), or approximately 20% of Earth's fresh surface water. This is a volume of water approximately equivalent to all five of the North American Great Lakes combined

pineypower71

Oct 19, 2008
This may sound like a foolish question but I have always wondered if ticks have always been this prevelent in the Pine Barrens. We all have stories of getting covered in ticks when we go out in the Pines during the warmer months. How did the people who lived out there in 1700's and 1800's stand it? Were deer ticks and lyme disease a factor then as well? I have read old letters and postcards where people complained about mosquitos but never anything on ticks. Was there some sort of bug repellent used back then?

ment to reply to this before
I grew up here and Im 45 now
I don't remember having this kind of bug population when I was younger
we were in the woods all the time, day and night
barley used bug spray