Hawk shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

HawkinNative

Explorer
Oct 7, 2008
Egg Harbor City
I decided to take my new camera and lens out for a test today. My plan was to go up to Barnegat Light to see what was around the jetty. On the way up, through the "back way", I went down to Swan Bay Wildlife Management Area between the Mullica and Wading rivers. I hadn't been down there in a few years and the road has really gotten bad. I parked at the first spot on the dirt road that was wide enough to turn around. hearing a few passerines in the woods, I walked across the road to see what I could "spish" out. Not much was flying and as I turned to walk back to the car, I noticed an adult Red-tailed Hawk on the ground in the low shrub about 10 feet away from me. It was obvious that the bird was injured. The only raptor I've ever handled before was a tiny Sharp-shined hawk so I was a bit intimidated by the talons on this bird. I called some friends to look up an avian rehabber's telephone number up in Toms River. I got an answering machine - left a message - and then went to gather the bird up in a bit of blanket I had. One wing was broken as was one leg. Shotgun pellets were also in the bird's breast. When I got to the Toms River Avian Center, Don Bonica the director, informed me that this was the second shotgun injured Red-tail Hawk he's gotten in 24hrs!
The bird is expected to do OK. I would love to catch these "sportsmen" in the act of shooting a raptor. Guys like this give all hunters an undeserved bad name.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
The work of ignorant people. Never ceases.

Reminds me. Christmas eve I drove up to Ringoes to pick up a present. I rounded a busy corner off of route 31 and there was a redtail on a road signpost, just sitting there looking at the cars as they passed. He was only about 10 feet off the ground and right at the edge of the road.

PS: of all things, a woodcock crossed my street 100 feet down from my house this morning. It looked odd, that big beak prominently out front. That was an odd sight so close to homes.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Someone should shoot the person/people responsible for this

If they could be found and convicted of the offense they would face up to a $15K fine, which for these types, would probably be worse than getting shot. From this May '08 article at the link, raptor killing appears to be a wide spread problem conducted by non-outdoors types with Federal agencies involved in trying to stop it. Hopefully Bronica reported the 2 incidents he is aware of.

http://www.flyrodreel.com/Blogs/Ted-Williams/Blogs-2008/Hawks-for-the-Killing/

swwit

Explorer
Apr 14, 2005
It's sad that the people responsible for this are even labled sportsmen. They certainly are not.

You're right. I think that the chances of these culprits being "sportsman" are slim. This is probable the work of some destructive idiots with a shotgun.

mike242424

Explorer
Feb 17, 2007
Tabernacle
yup and thats what gives guns in new jersey a bad rap for us that actually own guns and use them the right way we'll get screwed over.

swwit

Explorer
Apr 14, 2005
yup and thats what gives guns in new jersey a bad rap for us that actually own guns and use them the right way we'll get screwed over.

What gives people in N.J. a bad rap is the nuts who claim they will shoot a human being with them for things other than personal protection. :bang:

Chrisr

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
Cinnaminson, NJ
what gives people in n.j. A bad rap is the nuts who claim they will shoot a human being with them for things other than personal protection. :bang:

BINGO!!!! The law abiding citizen and the true sportsman have nothing to really worry about in NJ. It's the nuts who use firearms for other reasons other than self protection and hunting that give the rest of us a bad name.

PancoastDrifter

Explorer
Dec 7, 2008
www.flickr.com
BINGO!!!! The law abiding citizen and the true sportsman have nothing to really worry about in NJ. It's the nuts who use firearms for other reasons other than self protection and hunting that give the rest of us a bad name.

I bought an bright orange hat today. Some yahoos were firing across the lake and I hear their buck shot hit the trees near me within a few hundred yards. I started yelling, "There are people over here @#$$%^&'s" if they hit one of my dogs, I would of used my bare hands to exact justice.

Aaron

Explorer
Jul 29, 2007
I bought an bright orange hat today. Some yahoos were firing across the lake and I hear their buck shot hit the trees near me within a few hundred yards. I started yelling, "There are people over here @#$$%^&'s" if they hit one of my dogs, I would of used my bare hands to exact justice.

You should not have been in the hunters woods.

Furball1

Explorer
Dec 11, 2005
Florida
Need your response.

And no i am not kidding i value the raptors life more than the a hole that shot the poor bird.

You value a bird over a person? I understand your anger, raptors are my first love when it comes to birding, but do you really mean you would shoot a person for this act? What if the person was a little kid, or somebody's grandpa, and they had made a terrible judgement call, or it was an accident ? I do not believe you would shoot and kill a person, that you value a "raptor's life" more than even an "a hole". If what you say is true, then I think the administator's of this website need to block you from further postings. So, please tell me you are not serious.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
You value a bird over a person? I understand your anger, raptors are my first love when it comes to birding, but do you really mean you would shoot a person for this act? What if the person was a little kid, or somebody's grandpa, and they had made a terrible judgement call, or it was an accident ? I do not believe you would shoot and kill a person, that you value a "raptor's life" more than even an "a hole". If what you say is true, then I think the administator's of this website need to block you from further postings. So, please tell me you are not serious.

Why are you pressing this issue? Give it a rest.

Furball1

Explorer
Dec 11, 2005
Florida
You should be concerned.

Why are you pressing this issue? Give it a rest.

This person's idea of shooting someone for killing a hawk does not concern YOU, it is between him and me. You do not want to take responsibility for overseeing this site properly, so for me, that is YOUR problem. I do not think a post like that belongs on this website. The hypocrisy of it all makes me laugh. For example, when someone posts photos of harvested deer, people on this website get SO upset because junior might see it and be offended, but when someone writes they would shoot someone for killing a hawk there's no outcry. That's why I'm pressing the issue, and as you can see, that's why I will not let it rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.