Heart of the Pines...

gipsie

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
atlantic county
Just wanted to put this out there for all that haven't read it yet. Or heard of it.

Since coming to these forums a few years back, people kept referring to a book. "Heart of the Pines" by John E. Pearce. I had read all of Father Beck's stuff and was looking for more. This sounded like the perfect addition to my library! I saw it one day at Batsto and noticed the price tag. Not having that much cash on me, I decided to wait. I would walk into Batsto numerous times over the next year, forgetting about the book until I walked in the door. Hemmed and hawed for a long time. I was going to buy it on ebay or half.com if I could find it, but decided that this was a book I wanted to buy brand new. The wear and tear that is bound to accumulate on those pages should only come from me.

About a month ago, thanks to a friend, I decided that I was going to get the book. Made sure I had the cash and headed to Batsto. Bought the book right away. Took it home, set it on my shelf and life got in the way. I had a lot of stuff going on and I didn't just want to read a little, put itdown and pick it up when I had a few minutes. I wanted to sit down and truly enjoy it.

Well, a couple of days ago, I had a chance to sit with the book. I began reading and did not put it down for hours. What an awesome read! I am nowhere near done with it, but have thoroughly enjoyed what I have read so far.

So, anyone out there that is thinking of picking this book up, but worried about spending the $60 for it, put that thought out of your head. It is an amazing book. Well written and full of history and interesting things. You will enjoy it!

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
Very good book! I bought a signed copy at the Seaport when the book first came out. I think I paid around $50.00 for it. I would pay $300.00 if their was $250.00 hidden in the pages inside.
I do not think the book is that rare to warrant a $300.00 price tag.

Chris

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
It is a great book, I've had a copy for a number of years. I only wish it wasn't printed in a form factor like a telephone book! I enjoy taking books about the pines with me to read at lunch break, on the plane, etc. and the size makes that a little impractical! :)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I do not think the book is that rare to warrant a $300.00 price tag.

Chris

True. I bought mine from ebay and the price was perfect.

e.jpg

Guy