Heart of the Pines

Gerania

Explorer
May 18, 2004
Marlton
Heart of the Pines, John E. Pearce, second printing, revised edition, signed by author. I bought it at Busby's a while back. It's not pristine, but in very good condition.

I can't put a price on it (sigh, how do you price that book) but I'll accept any reasonable offer.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The cheapest on Abe is $119 and it goes up to $300. Don't let a signed copy of that book go for too small a price.

Gerania

Explorer
May 18, 2004
Marlton
The cheapest on Abe is $119 and it goes up to $300. Don't let a signed copy of that book go for too small a price.

Thanks. I saw one online for $145 and thought that was about as much as I might expect. I guess that I'll trot this out to a couple of other sites in a couple of days.

JerseyG

Nov 18, 2010
Be careful of getting a false sense of a book's worth by the pricing you see on Abe Books, Amazon etc. Princeton Antiques of Atlantic City is notorious for its insanely inflated used book prices, and their listings are everywhere. Hopeful con-artists on Amazon are selling Heart of the Pines for 300 dollars, apparently in the hope some unsuspecting soul will think this is a rare book and out of print.

The list price of this book new, as sold by the Batsto Citizen's Committee, is 60 dollars. How much a signed used copy is worth depends upon how many signed copies are out there, and how much someone is willing to pay.

This massive work, with over 900 photographs, is a bargain at 60 dollars, so you should certainly ask for more than that for a signed edition.

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
One time I placed signed copies of both Heart of the Pines and Iron in the Pines on the top of my car and proceeded to drive away, forgetting they were there. One of my dumber moments. Not as bad as the time I leaned my recently restored violin against my back bumper and then got in my car a few minutes later and put the car in reverse. The books were lost and the violin crushed. Yeah.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
One time I placed signed copies of both Heart of the Pines and Iron in the Pines on the top of my car and proceeded to drive away, forgetting they were there. One of my dumber moments. Not as bad as the time I leaned my recently restored violin against my back bumper and then got in my car a few minutes later and put the car in reverse. The books were lost and the violin crushed. Yeah.

Oh jeez, Gabe. That's heartbreaking. I've been there before. I had just bought my favorite album of all time (after a long search), and as I was driving home a wind gust took it out of my car window as I was crossing the Delaware Memorial bridge. It flipped and flopped all the way to the river below. I stopped the car right then and there and sobbed while watching it drift away with the tide. It was one of the more tragic moments of my life.

FavAlb.PNG

Gerania

Explorer
May 18, 2004
Marlton
Be careful of getting a false sense of a book's worth by the pricing you see on Abe Books, Amazon etc. Princeton Antiques of Atlantic City is notorious for its insanely inflated used book prices, and their listings are everywhere. Hopeful con-artists on Amazon are selling Heart of the Pines for 300 dollars, apparently in the hope some unsuspecting soul will think this is a rare book and out of print.

The list price of this book new, as sold by the Batsto Citizen's Committee, is 60 dollars. How much a signed used copy is worth depends upon how many signed copies are out there, and how much someone is willing to pay.

This massive work, with over 900 photographs, is a bargain at 60 dollars, so you should certainly ask for more than that for a signed edition.

Three hundred dollars is an absurd amount to ask for the book. I wish that I knew how many signed copies there were; it would give me a better idea of how to price it.

I'm not sure where to sell this online. I really hate the thought of dealing with eBay. Does anyone have a suggestion?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
He signed them for hours at the Lines on the Pines a few years back. I have a photo of him with me there while he was signing them. He may have been there 2 years in a row. Plus, I suspect he was at Batsto at some point signing them.

Gerania

Explorer
May 18, 2004
Marlton

Oh, no, that's terrible. At least I didn't pull out with the baby - in a carrier/car seat - perched on the roof rack of the car.