Hello from new member

JerseyDevil

Scout
Dec 22, 2003
Jackson, NJ
Hi everyone, nice web. looks like you guys / girls have alot of fun. I didn't know there were people with similar interest.. must be a sickness :)

Happy Hollidays

JerseyDevil

Scout
Dec 22, 2003
Jackson, NJ
bruset said:
that's what most people say

Thats funny, I'm usually rebutted with "why bother", such and such is on tv etc.. :rolleyes:

I've been roving the pines since the 1980, some of the place's I used to go have really fallen apart over the years. Still, it's just as much fun... :D

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I've been roving the pines since about 1998 when I first drove up Sandy Ridge Road to Friendship in my Mercury Cougar:

Image16.sized.jpg

My parents always brought me to Allaire State Park as a kid, and I grew up learning the history of the village and the bog iron industry. I started reading Beck's books and was hooked - I wanted to visit all of the places that he had been to.

It makes me very happy to see that there are other people who share the same passion for the Pine Barrens. Whether it's exploring ruins, bushwhacking, looking at nature, or off-roading we all have one love - the lands in the Pine Barrens. I'm happy to be able to run this site and provide a place for people to share their experiences and stories.

Boy that was sappy.

B

bach2yoga

bruset said:
It makes me very happy to see that there are other people who share the same passion for the Pine Barrens. Whether it's exploring ruins, bushwhacking, looking at nature, or off-roading we all have one love - the lands in the Pine Barrens. I'm happy to be able to run this site and provide a place for people to share their experiences and stories.

Boy that was sappy.

Scott, I heard that the Jersey Devil eats people that are too sappy, is that true? :devil:

Seriously, Ben, I for one appreciate the time and effort you put into making this site happen. :chug:

Hi, Scott! 8)

Renee

alfonso

Explorer
Oct 9, 2003
bayville
Visit site
hello jerseydevil , great site. i work in bricktown . glad to have a new member to the group. hope to have future outtingss with you.................happy holidays

JerseyDevil

Scout
Dec 22, 2003
Jackson, NJ
hello all,

Like ben I run a website dedicated to the pines although it's a bit more dedicated to off-roading, jeeping specifically, you'll see it in my tag. I and the people who help me run the board are very consciences to the preservation of the pines but are not as extreme environmentalists as some. We strive to keep available trails open and prevent land closures. We acomplish this by working hand in hand with the state. As an example I will be attending a party Satarday at Batsto that the state is throwing in our honor for a pinelands cleanup we organized. Mike T. (yellowdog) on this board was the originator of the idea last year and I helped it grow to twice the effort this year, see: http://www.the-jersey-devil.com/donators.htm. We hope to receive a NJ State Forest Stewardship Award or something similar Starday. We'll see, they're being secretive.

Hopefully people like ourselve with similar interests can work togeather to assure land access as closures would affect us all.

Anyway enough of that. The reason I joined this board was because of my addiction to seeking out ruins and cool places but I wanted to get that out of the way because I know the off-road community has had a bad rap in the media because of some bad apples.

I'm not hear to advertise, preach or prop my site just to have fun. Looking foward to some outings.. :D

Hi Alfonso, Hi Renee :D

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I was a sponsor of that cleanup.

We have a very diverse group of people here. We have our share of tree-huggers, history buffs, metal detector people, geocachers - you name it. I've actually gotten quite an appreciation for the environmental aspects of the Pines, although I still disagree with banning ATVs and other land-use issues that make it harder for people to enjoy the pines.

B

bach2yoga

JerseyDevil said:
hello all,

Like ben I run a website dedicated to the pines although it's a bit more dedicated to off-roading, jeeping specifically, you'll see it in my tag. I and the people who help me run the board are very consciences to the preservation of the pines but are not as extreme environmentalists as some. We strive to keep available trails open and prevent land closures. We acomplish this by working hand in hand with the state. As an example I will be attending a party Satarday at Batsto that the state is throwing in our honor for a pinelands cleanup we organized. Mike T. (yellowdog) on this board was the originator of the idea last year and I helped it grow to twice the effort this year, see: http://www.the-jersey-devil.com/donators.htm. We hope to receive a NJ State Forest Stewardship Award or something similar Starday. We'll see, they're being secretive.

Good luck. It is always good to see people sponsoring clean ups in the Pines!
Renee

JerseyDevil

Scout
Dec 22, 2003
Jackson, NJ
bruset said:
I was a sponsor of that cleanup.

We have a very diverse group of people here. We have our share of tree-huggers, history buffs, metal detector people, geocachers - you name it. I've actually gotten quite an appreciation for the environmental aspects of the Pines, although I still disagree with banning ATVs and other land-use issues that make it harder for people to enjoy the pines.

OK then. Your the mystery sponser.. DID you send a set of radios to Mike T. He pulled them out at the after party and I gave them out to a winner but was never privey to how we came to get them. If it was you I'm sorry I never mensioned you in the promo material. I was never aware of you, just that we had a suprise donation last minute.

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
Hello,

I hope the Jersey Devil doesn't mind my using his topic head in order to introduce myself as well. I've been doing some off-and-on lurking hereabouts for several months now, after having been introduced to this fascinating Web site and discussion group by forum-member Manumuskin (aka Al, Rambo, Mr. Map Man and other names best left unmentioned here :wink: ). Anyway, my occasional-forum-lurking habits also best describes my relationship with the pinelands; which my purposes for visiting are usually based upon reasons recreational, often in a quest to recoop misplaced sanity after many-a-world-whack to the brain. When soloing Whartonward and beyond, I'm often lured to spots where the sand-based land meets water (where the ultimate pine-barren magic transpires, IMO). I'm closest to nirvana when kayaking areas akin to the meadows of the Mullica River, espeically if under nothing but the light of a full moon or at least a few trying stars.

A camera of some sort is often strapped over my shoulder.

Back to lurk mode. You guys have a great thing going here.

Happy holidays.

-- Bill

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Yes Whippoorbill is my bestest buddy,It was long about 18 years ago I turned him onto the barrens.I used to delight in taking him into the barrens and turning him in so many directions that I would leave his brain spinning like a top and he would be reduced to sucking his thumb and crying mommy where am I.But alas all good things come to an end,sadly to say he can find his own way around quite nicely now.I taught him that he was going to hurt himself if he kept fighting that blueberry and briar patch from a standing position like that.Much better to squirm down a critter trail on yer belly then lose large patches of hide fighting it.I taught him that the site of a pine barren medder all frosted over in a winters morning sun can make you forget that your feet got wet and are now frozen solid and I taught him the art of stump jumping which can keep your feet dry till you inevitably misjudge and go in to the hip.He is now quite adept with a canoe or kayak paddle and the man that used to not give a flying fart about history now asks me frequently when we come upon man sign in the woods,what happened here and when.But he"s taught me a few things too.He taught me the difference between a snapshot and a photograph."Rambo you got to have forground" he would explain to me repeatedly.He showed me the wisdom of carbide over electric as a caving light.he turned me from a spelunker into a caver.He made me realize thats theirs more to life then clam chowder and he"s done his best to convince me that my lineage goes back much further then Adam but to a lightning bolt hitting a shallow sea full of chemicals which spontaneously arranged themselves into amino acids which somehow changed themselves into living cells which crawled out of the sea and jumped into the air and flew and some climbed trees and some came back down and became me.Of course I don"t beliebve any of this and likewise he doesn"t swallow my version either but we"ve had some interesting arguements over a cedar wood fire while the whipporwills and hyla andersoni"s chimed in.He also taught me that while it may be nice to have friends by the dozen just one or two in a lifetime like him can make the living of it much more worth it.He's my main barrens buddy Whipporbill.
Al

B

bach2yoga

manumuskin said:
Yes Whippoorbill is my bestest buddy,It was long about 18 years ago I turned him onto the barrens.I used to delight in taking him into the barrens and turning him in so many directions that I would leave his brain spinning like a top and he would be reduced to sucking his thumb and crying mommy where am I.But alas all good things come to an end,sadly to say he can find his own way around quite nicely now.I taught him that he was going to hurt himself if he kept fighting that blueberry and briar patch from a standing position like that.Much better to squirm down a critter trail on yer belly then lose large patches of hide fighting it.I taught him that the site of a pine barren medder all frosted over in a winters morning sun can make you forget that your feet got wet and are now frozen solid and I taught him the art of stump jumping which can keep your feet dry till you inevitably misjudge and go in to the hip.He is now quite adept with a canoe or kayak paddle and the man that used to not give a flying fart about history now asks me frequently when we come upon man sign in the woods,what happened here and when.But he"s taught me a few things too.He taught me the difference between a snapshot and a photograph."Rambo you got to have forground" he would explain to me repeatedly.He showed me the wisdom of carbide over electric as a caving light.he turned me from a spelunker into a caver.He made me realize thats theirs more to life then clam chowder and he"s done his best to convince me that my lineage goes back much further then Adam but to a lightning bolt hitting a shallow sea full of chemicals which spontaneously arranged themselves into amino acids which somehow changed themselves into living cells which crawled out of the sea and jumped into the air and flew and some climbed trees and some came back down and became me.Of course I don"t beliebve any of this and likewise he doesn"t swallow my version either but we"ve had some interesting arguements over a cedar wood fire while the whipporwills and hyla andersoni"s chimed in.He also taught me that while it may be nice to have friends by the dozen just one or two in a lifetime like him can make the living of it much more worth it.He's my main barrens buddy Whipporbill.
Al

I likes you guys! :lol:
Al, ya gotta bring Bill out sometimes with us too!
Bill-We're from Vineland, I'm originally from Cedarville/Millville.
Renee

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
we might do that.he has a harder time getting out due to little kids but we 'll try. He's a pretty good photographer but since his younguns have been born he aint got out much.i'm working on him,tryin to get him back into the barrens,his new digital camera is gonna help me:)
Al

B

bach2yoga

manumuskin said:
we might do that.he has a harder time getting out due to little kids but we 'll try. He's a pretty good photographer but since his younguns have been born he aint got out much.i'm working on him,tryin to get him back into the barrens,his new digital camera is gonna help me:)
Al

I know the dilemma with the little ones! Joseph was 2 when I started out. He's 4 now, and Kristen is 9. If one of the little ones is under app 35 lbs I have a backpack he can put the little one in to carry him/her. We have two child carry backpacks.

Renee

JerseyDevil

Scout
Dec 22, 2003
Jackson, NJ
bach2yoga said:
manumuskin said:
Al

I know the dilemma with the little ones! Joseph was 2 when I started out. He's 4 now, and Kristen is 9. If one of the little ones is under app 35 lbs I have a backpack he can put the little one in to carry him/her. We have two child carry backpacks.

Renee

I have the dilema too, three children and only two seats in the back of my jeep. I have a trailblzer to but it's just not the same as a jeep... Something about hitting the pines in a jeep that makes life worth living.