Help With Batona Itinerary

xian01

Apr 21, 2021
Ocean County
Hello,

I've been lurking here for a few years, relying on all your sage wisdom to plan my adventures. Thank you!

I've been meaning to hike overnight on the Batona trail for a while. The stars have aligned and it looks like I'll be headed there sometime in the next 14 days to do the northern half. Just realized that all of the primitive spots are closed, which complicates things.

Which itinerary looks better to you all? Or maybe there's an alternative I haven't considered. We're 3 relatively fit guys in our early thirties, trying our best to keep pack weight down to 25lbs per person. We have two free days + one after-work evening to hike.

North to South

- Day 1: Arrive in the afternoon afternoon to Ong's hat and hike to Brendan Byrne and camp there
- Day 2: Hike from Brendan Byrne to Atsion and drive back to Ong's Hat

OR South to North

- Day 1: Arrive in the late afternoon/early evening at Atsion. Hike to Batona trail and stealth camp, leaving no trace, somewhere secluded near Lower Forge (where? dm me.)
- Day 2: Hike from stealth site near Lower Forge to Brendan Byrne and camp there
- Day 3: Hike from Brendan Byrne to Ong's Hat

Also
- Will ticks be a major issue next week or the week after? I can handle picking them off here and there, I just don't want to get "rained" on.
- How hard is it to shortcut from Lower Forge towards Atsion on Old Forge Rd? I'd like to avoid having to dip down to Quaker bridge.
- Are we going to get hassled for parking overnight at Ong's Hat or Atsion?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Reactions: wks

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
- Will ticks be a major issue next week or the week after? I can handle picking them off here and there, I just don't want to get "rained" on.

The ticks are out in full force at my place and I'm sure they will be wherever you go too. But Permethrin is very effective against them. The Sawyers spray is very effective but be sure to follow the instructions closely, you need to prepare in advance. It's available at Dick's Sporting Goods, Walmart and REI, there are some other brands also.

MuckSavage

Explorer
Apr 1, 2005
Turnersville
I think I read here of an incident where a hiker's catalytic converter was cut out of his car while parked multiple days at Ongs Hat. May want to see if you can get shuttle from Byrne up to Ong's Hat. (Safely parking at Byrne)

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Good advice, but are you sure you read that here? Maybe you are thinking of this thread about Maine and the Philadelphia suburbs?

Last edited:

Mikeofthewoods

Oct 29, 2020
Indian Cabin Road
There is a good facebook page called "Hiking the Batona Trail - Pine Barrens, NJ" where people plan out their trips and talk about the different sections

Zach McGarvey

Explorer
Feb 11, 2018
Woodbury / Vineland NJ
Only a 15-20 minute walk from Lower Forge to Quaker Bridge. As they said, no way to avoid it without swimming.

If you park overnight at Atsion, you may want to let the personnel in the office know, if anyone is there. They are technically still closed for the season but you will often see workers there and at the 206/QB Road entrance. If nobody is home, I would call the Batsto office. I've left my truck there overnight during the peak camping season without asking anyone many times, but never in the off-season. There's also ample parking around the Quaker Bridge "Five Points" area, but again, leaving your car in the woods and out of sight, could be a risk.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
If you go to QB, take the road to the right shortly after you cross the bridge, it is called Stokes Road on NJPB Maps and Lower Forge road crosses it. The road parallels QB Road for about 2 miles. Then you must make a left back to QB road, crossing the stone bridge. Shortly after there will be the Yellow Trail on your right. It is a foot path like the Batona. It will bring you out at the church at the Atsion parking lot.

Zach McGarvey

Explorer
Feb 11, 2018
Woodbury / Vineland NJ
Spent all day in the area today. The road conditions are really quite atrocious, from Atsion all the way to QB. Giant mudholes everywhere, deep tire ruts, and even the approaches to the actual bridge are somewhat washed out. Driving off the east end of QB is like driving off a high curb. I take back what I said about parking in that area, they now have no parking signs everywhere. I took my chances and parked there anyway for most of the day but it's really annoying and makes you wonder if it's designed to promote use of Pineland Adventures' shuttle bus service. Middle Rd. all the way up the Batsto's west bank was clear everywhere except at its southern outlet just above the Batsto Lake canoe launch- there is a massive hole of uncertain depth and no possible go-around. I didn't want to chance getting stuck in it with no winch. If coming from the south, I believe you can take the other fork, toward Constable Bridge, and then cut back over to avoid it.

Those roads need some grading though! I have never seen Quaker Bridge road in such bad condition in my life.

• Wow
Reactions: Boyd

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Tuckerton Road is also again getting bad. There are two spots that I stopped and checked before going through them and another one had a large go-around.