Heritage Minerals and Chatsworth ATV park

B

bach2yoga

Yesterday while out I was told that the reason for the huge fine at Heritage minerals is to keep environmentalists out. Apparently this land is slated for a shopping center and housing development. ANyone know anything about that?

Also, she told me that NJCF, who owns the land that the Chatsworth ATV park is on, was only given ten years for this park, then after that, it will close. There won't be any extensions given. And the park is in its eighth year of operation.

Renee

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Renee,

Hovnanian owns that land. They've wanted to build several thousand houses and shopping centers there for years. The Pineland commission was blocking it, and I think Hovnanian won in court. They're going to be building there, which is a terrible shame. The fines for ATV use at Heritage Minerals came from Bradley Campbell. Any trespassing fines that come ontop of that are from Manchester Township, most likely at the direction of Hovnanian.

Regarding the Chatsworth ATV park, I am sure that by the time it closes there won't be any new parks open, despite what Bradley Campbell says. The NJ DEP at the behest of the Sierra Club and various other groups have pretty much made it illegal to ride anywhere with an ATV.

B

bach2yoga

He's quite a big name, I take it. Is he a local?

You know, generally speaking, I really don't like ATVs-primarily because of the environmental damage they reek and also because of the tendency of so many ATV drivers to be irresponsible (and now even violent). But the only way to keep them where they don't belong is to give them enough legal places to ride. It only makes sense to me. Sometimes you have to compromise.

Renee

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Hovnanian is a huge builder in NJ and Florida.

I agree with you about the ATV's. Many riders are way too young and irresponsible. But if there were places for them to ride, I can see levying fines on them for being where they shouldn't be.

Unfortunately it's next to impossible to fight for ATV'ers. The letter I wrote to the Press when I posted my last newspaper article was approved for print, but it hasn't shown up yet. Todays big letter was about how important it is for someone to open a diner up in Manchester. :rolleyes:

aserdaten

Scout
Jul 26, 2003
Ormond Beach, Florida
Regarding the excessive fines for trespassing at the Heritage Minerals site, the above posts don't make sense to me. First of all, who is Bradley Campbell and what does he have to do with ATV use, legal or otherwise? And shouldn't the fine for use of them on private property be inclusive of the trespassing penalty, if the property is posted? I realize the trespassing fine is determined in municipal court, but wouldn't the ATV thing also be administered by the same court and combined with the trespassing violation? Also, the owner should have no input as to the magnitude of the fine.

Guess I've been away from NJ for too long; don't recall such nonsense when I was still living there in the early 1990's. I used to go swimming in that long, skinny lake which I believe is part of the Heritage property. Never had any problems with either the police or a watchman (if they ever had one). Never drove an ATV so wasn't aware of any problem there. Did get balled out once by Lacey Township cop for driving out of the woods coming from the old railroad grade. He kept telling me I was trespassing, and I argued it is not illegal to drive on these sand roads as long as you aren't damaging private property or dumping back there. Well, we stood there arguing with each other about the incident, until finally he drove away. Consider that one a "draw".

Incidentally, Florida posts signs at construction projects that say trespassing is a "felony". Yeah, right! But I'm not going to make a test case out of it, either.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I wrote a letter to my local representative Martha Bark back in 2000 asking for her to explain NJDMV's policy of taking your money for ATV registration (after you have insured it of course) while at the same time forbidding the use of an ATV on any State or other public property.
NJ ATV registration only entitles you to cross a public road while going between two pieces of private property.
I got a dopey form letter in response thanking me for my interest in government issues.
Well I am still waiting for a real answer and in the last 4 years I have clocked over 2000 illegal miles on my quad in Wharton with one eye over my shoulder.
I think I'll step forward and register it when Bradley Campbell grows a set of n ts and enforces his mandate for Parks and Forestry to come up with some legal riding areas.
Pennsylvania requires registration but has designated a several areas of state and National Forests for Atv use.
I think the recent Demarco acquistion in Chatsworth should be set aside for ATV's and 4WD trucks (minimum tire dia. 44").
You're going to have them in there anyway until NJ wakes up.
A nice little bar with a jukebox full of Merle and George Jones would be nice to have in the Demarco tract too.
But that's just me.
:chug:
Scott

njvike

Explorer
Jul 18, 2003
Sparta, NJ
home.earthlink.net
bruset said:
Renee,

Hovnanian owns that land. They've wanted to build several thousand houses and shopping centers there for years. The Pineland commission was blocking it, and I think Hovnanian won in court. They're going to be building there, which is a terrible shame. The fines for ATV use at Heritage Minerals came from Bradley Campbell. Any trespassing fines that come ontop of that are from Manchester Township, most likely at the direction of Hovnanian.

Regarding the Chatsworth ATV park, I am sure that by the time it closes there won't be any new parks open, despite what Bradley Campbell says. The NJ DEP at the behest of the Sierra Club and various other groups have pretty much made it illegal to ride anywhere with an ATV.

More traffic. Just what that area needs :x