Hey! Look what I found

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I wouldn't be surprised if those wagon wheels are much older than anyone thinks, maybe as far back as the 1850's. The hubs are more than likely cast iron. The manufacturer, city, and sometimes year can be found cast into the hub. These can be found on the inside flange. If it is there, it is should be visible. Woodjin, that is an incredible find!

Thanks,
In order to open the flange, I will have to take precautions not to destroy it further. It is certainly tempting to look isn't it. I will have to bring some tools with me to carefully remove it. Rest assured I will be very careful.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Thanks,
In order to open the flange, I will have to take precautions not to destroy it further. It is certainly tempting to look isn't it. I will have to bring some tools with me to carefully remove it. Rest assured I will be very careful.

Woodjin, what you are looking for is probably behind what appears to be a dust shield or grease sling. I thought, at first, you didn't have to take the hub apart, but you with the one you found, you do. Here is an example of what you might find.

hub.JPG

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Great find Jeff! If I were you I would dig that thing out.

Guy

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Jeff,
Just got caught up to this one. That is one crazy sick cool find! I imagine it would be hard to I/D. taking that apart might be a chore. I know this may not ring popular with some folks but... you should bring a wirebrush to get the scale down and a can of
"Liquid Wrench" and WD40.
If you are very careful to take care you can use the stuff to your advantage and not do any environmental harm, unless you are
freaked out over a few tiny drops of spray oil. There are far worse things, probably even leaks from broken parts on cars we ourselves have been out in, and... handled with the help of these agents, you can probably get it apart carefully "without" breaking it. That would be a huge plus.

g.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Jeff,
Just got caught up to this one. That is one crazy sick cool find! I imagine it would be hard to I/D. taking that apart might be a chore. I know this may not ring popular with some folks but... you should bring a wirebrush to get the scale down and a can of
"Liquid Wrench" and WD40.
If you are very careful to take care you can use the stuff to your advantage and not do any environmental harm, unless you are
freaked out over a few tiny drops of spray oil. There are far worse things, probably even leaks from broken parts on cars we ourselves have been out in, and... handled with the help of these agents, you can probably get it apart carefully "without" breaking it. That would be a huge plus.

g.

That is good advice George. There is a possibility the rust has fused the unit together and might be impossible to take apart without damaging it. I will just move slowly and carfully and see what happens. I have those chemicals on hand and they might come in handy.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It was an old wagon in the pines that was similar to the one in post 9. Not much left of it though but still a great find.

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
Thanks Jeff, seeing the pictures would be great. Brings up an interesting question, though. When is it proper to disturb articles found? As a teen, I got stuck in sugar sand, and I used some bricks scattered nearby to put under my tires to get my car out. I now believe that some of these bricks may have historical value. Who can I ask or what should I do with them? I still have them.
Thanks,
Greg

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
This is one reason why you might consider "attaching" photos to your posts instead of linking to them on another site. Just click the "upload a file" button and choose the picture(s) you want. Then click the button to insert the full sized image. That way they it always be a part of your post.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
This is one reason why you might consider "attaching" photos to your posts instead of linking to them on another site. Just click the "upload a file" button and choose the picture(s) you want. Then click the button to insert the full sized image. That way they it always be a part of your post.

Say what? I didn't know you could do that. I'd post a hell of a lot more photos if that is the case. But does it blow away Ben's storage capacity? Here, I'm going to try one:

It worked good. I took it off as it detracted from this topic.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
An update to this thread. The photos above show it when Jeff first found it 11 years ago and since then almost all of the spokes have fallen off. Fortunately, it was quite dry when we visited it a while back so I was able to get a few more photos to add.

IMG_7418a.jpg

IMG_7427a.jpg

This clearly shows the corduroy road.

IMG_7429b.jpg

IMG_7420a.jpg

IMG_7424a.jpg