Hey! Look what I found

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I was in deep today. I was in a gum swamp that no one had any business going in. No hunters because of no deer, no signs of anybody. Just gum and maple trees. There is a cedar swamp close by and I was used to seeing a gread deal of cord roads in there, but I was surprised when I came acrossed a very very old cord road in this gum swamp. It was certainly there due to the nearby cedar swamp but was substaintally older than others I have seen in the area.

Well, I'm looking right and left, up and down the cord road when I nearly tripped on what was right in front of me. What are the chances that I would meet up with this old cord road right where this thing was. I'll let the pictures do the talking so to speak
http://pix.kg/p/183205175215:191573646/sct

Pretty cool huh? I suspect I am the first person to lay eyes on this in a very long time. An old lumber wagon (or the wheels and axle of one anyway) that came to rest here many many years ago. right in the middle of the cord road. the spokes are wood, the wheel is of the large hoop variety, but I am confused by the hubs and axle. Would this have been horse driven with hubs like that? I want to welcome thoughts as to the age of this thing.

Jeff

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Great pics Jeff and and an interesting find on the axle.
When I see something like that I like to think back to the last day that someone stood there and said, "To hell with it, let's get out of here."

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I found photographic evidence of that wheel and hub being used at the turn of the last century. They were common in the horse drawn wagons that were used to collect salt hay. I am sure they were used in the lumber industry as well. That thing could be over 100 years old. I am wondering if it should be excavated at put on display at Batsto. But I suspect there are plenty of intact examples still available.

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
Maybe this guy got lost.Kidding ..There may not be as many intact examples as you think worth asking around..Maybe Jerseyman will know

Tiedeken-018-Ice-a.jpg

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Bear in mind that the wheels and axles may have been "recycled" into some form of wagon that could have been towed by a motor vehicle. So you might be able to date the construction or design of the wheel, but not (reliably) when it was last used.

Reactions: jburd641 and dogg57

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Bear in mind that the wheels and axles may have been "recycled" into some form of wagon that could have been towed by a motor vehicle. So you might be able to date the construction or design of the wheel, but not (reliably) when it was last used.

That is true. However, outside of towing, I don't think they would have used this ON a motor vehicle which still places it's date as very old. Even if the last time it was used could have been as late as the 30's, who knows.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
can anyone carbon date those spokes?that be some wood if it's over 100 years old,especially laying out in a swamp like that.wonder if you cleaned it up if you'd find a manufacturers name on the axle or hub?

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
I wouldn't be surprised if those wagon wheels are much older than anyone thinks, maybe as far back as the 1850's. The hubs are more than likely cast iron. The manufacturer, city, and sometimes year can be found cast into the hub. These can be found on the inside flange. If it is there, it is should be visible. Woodjin, that is an incredible find!

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
That is true. However, outside of towing, I don't think they would have used this ON a motor vehicle which still places it's date as very old. Even if the last time it was used could have been as late as the 30's, who knows.

Oh, I'm sure they didn't fit a motor to it. I was thinking it was towed. (I think it's more likely it was pulled by a horse.)

Is that another axle in front of it, or a corduroy log?

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Is that another axle in front of it, or a corduroy log?

I believe it is a corduroy log. However, I was hesitant to upset it in anyway to determine if there were additional parts below the mud. You can see the spokes are deep in the ground and would certainly break if moved.