hidden speedwell memorial/underwater bridge

andy1015

Explorer
May 4, 2007
Need a little help. I have been told that there is a memorial that is located near where carranza and speedwell meet. I heard it is hidden back in the woods. It is supposed to be about a 100 yards off of either speedwell or carrannza(i believe he told me carranza). The memorial he told me goes over the history of speedwell and it talks about how it used to be speedwells cranberry bogs. Anyone know of such a memorial? and if so how to get there. Also how to get to the underwater bridge off of carranza?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The memorial is located here.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=39.73...spn=0.006246,0.01236&t=k&z=17&iwloc=addr&om=1

It is dedicated to the ancestors of Garfield DeMarco who placed it there. DeMarco was the owner of what is now the Parker Preserve.

Here is how to get there. Go to the new bridge at Friendship and have the road to the Carranza Memorial behind you. So sitting on the bridge Carranza is behind you and there is a road ahead and one that goes left. Go straight and follow that as it goes through the "s" turn in the cedar swamp. As you exit the "s" turn there is a road that comes sharply in on the left. Go down there to the memorial on the left.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Also how to get to the underwater bridge off of carranza?

Coming from Tabernacle take the road to the right just before the Boot Camp. Explore all the roads that intersect that road on the right and you will find what you are looking for and more.

Guy

kingofthepines

Explorer
Sep 10, 2003
the final outpost
the bridges are washed away and the roads have been blocked off.
677BRIDGE2-med.JPG

andy1015

Explorer
May 4, 2007
thank you very much, i was going to far down on carannza and was missing the memorial completly, that underwater bridge i actually have been there, now that i see that picture that you showed me, thanks so much for the info and i will check that memorial out hopefully this week, thanks so much

andy1015

Explorer
May 4, 2007
what exactly is that parker preserve? i guess it is privately owned. We were in the middle of the woods and all of the sudden all i see is parker reserve signs and it is roped off. its almost seemed like they are conducting hidden experiments back there.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
what exactly is that parker preserve? i guess it is privately owned. We were in the middle of the woods and all of the sudden all i see is parker reserve signs and it is roped off. its almost seemed like they are conducting hidden experiments back there.

Back in the 1940’s. Rocco DeMarco acquired a vast amount of property in the pines. His son Garfield inherited it and until a few years ago he had a massive cranberry business there. He did not have any family who was interested in continuing the business, so he sold it to the New Jersey Conservation Foundation in 2004. They decided to name all of the property he sold to them after Franklin Parker who I believe was one of the original members of the Pineland Commission.

Anyone can go on the property as long as you walk.

Here is Franklin Parker at the dedication of the preserve.

FranklinParker.JPG

Here is more info.

http://www.njconservation.org/html/gfa-pinebarrens.htm

Guy

andy1015

Explorer
May 4, 2007
thanks again, that is good to kono that we can still access it by foot, the way they had all the signs and it roped off made it seem like you would be arrested on the spot, by the way thanks again for the memorial info, i will hopefully be finding that today

andy1015

Explorer
May 4, 2007
i went the other night and i did find the memorial, i then realized i had driven by it once before and just never realized it was a memorial, but thank you for the info, other wise i probably wouldn't of stumbled onto it for another 3 years, this time i actually was able to get out and read it, thanks again Guy