High spots

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Bob,

Topozone has newer maps, and they go into more detail where the "high spots" are in the Fish and Wildlife Area. We were slightly off when we were trying to visit the highest point in South Jersey. It is along the edge of the management area a short distance from where we were walking. It still says 218 feet. Another visit is required, maybe the same day as the pole road search!

http://topozone.com/map.asp?z=18&am...3&s=25&layer=DRG25&size=l&u=2

Guy

B

BarryC

I remember looking carefully at my Woodmansie map and the ones around it one time, and finding a spot marked as 218 feet. It's funny how Apple Pie is always advertised as the highest point in the Pines. Clearly it's not.
BobM said:
We were withing 50 yards of that spot, did not look any higher, but you never know.............bob

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The sign there no longer says that. It now says "One of the highest."

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
We have been there with my GPS and in some area's we also had Ben's GPS, and we never reached 218 feet. My GPS seems to read about 5 feet low but we still never reached it.

Guy

njvike

Explorer
Jul 18, 2003
Sparta, NJ
home.earthlink.net
BarryC said:
I remember looking carefully at my Woodmansie map and the ones around it one time, and finding a spot marked as 218 feet. It's funny how Apple Pie is always advertised as the highest point in the Pines. Clearly it's not.
BobM said:
We were withing 50 yards of that spot, did not look any higher, but you never know.............bob

I guess that depends on the souce. I have a topo map by some other company that indicates Applie pie hill as the highest point.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Apple Pie Hill seems high because the ground around it is not. When you visit the Greenwood Forest area that is the actual highest area the ground around it is all high so it is tough trying to decide what rise in the ground is the highest point. Bob and I walked around there for quite a while trying to determine where it was, and we felt we were there but my GPS did not agree.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
We have not set up any time. At that time we were waiting for the fall.

Guy