High Tension Line

00xj54

Scout
May 2, 2006
Does anyone know if you are leagally aloud to drive on those trails by high tension lines?

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
I believe the same restrictions apply to the entire run of the access roads.
While they will save you some time in some travels there are enough trails to where it's not worth chancing using those. They are popular in ATV circles though.

00xj54

Scout
May 2, 2006
Windsor said:
Are they posted? I don't get how they expect you to know who owns every square inch of property.

DUUDE I hear ya. AND that exactly what I go by. If it's not posted I'm wheelin it.

Windsor

Scout
Aug 11, 2005
Somerdale
I was out with a few friends last winter by the power lines in Atco. Seeing as they were in no way marked, I didn't feel it was illegal. Two guys parked off trail and we sat around and talked a bit, but it was just dirt anyway. No rare plants being squashed... Anyway, along comes two rangers... They gave us no trouble at all. They warned the two guys about being off trail and actually told us of some cool places to go drive off-road. So, I guess it's like getting pulled over by any cop or ranger. If you shoot your mouth off, you're likely to get in trouble. If you respect them and their jobs, they may just let you go.

I never really thought about those power lines much. However, routinely when I do the Quaker Bridge to Batsto run, I almost always exit by the fire tower and up on through the power line area. It's an obvious trail, but how is one supposed to know whether it's legal or not? I certainly wouldn't do it if it was.

00xj54

Scout
May 2, 2006
I'm surprised it was Rangers and not Waterford Cops. But I guess those lines are part of Wharton. That's cool I have no problems with the Rangers.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
00xj54 said:
DUUDE I hear ya. AND that exactly what I go by. If it's not posted I'm wheelin it.

It's pretty much common knowledge that if you see a power or utility line that it's built on a right of way or at least an easement and thereby private property.

I don't have signs in my back yard but I wouldn't want you driving back there.

Ignorance is no excuse, and it won't hold up in court either.

LongIslandPiney

Explorer
Jan 11, 2006
I've walked along LIPA ROW's out in the LI Pines without much trouble at all. Often the line trails are marked on trail maps and are part of the hiking system. Driving could be different I guess. I only really use them if they are the only trail to take however, because who wants to go to the woods to only walk on a trail with unsightly power lines?
And yesterday I walked on a narrow paved road in the Westhampton area, deep in the pines. Technically, it's a private road, meant to serve a country club, BUT, it's also an access road for parking spaces for the Sarnoff preserve. Many cars and a sheriff's car passed by, no one bothered me. Generally as long as it's not posted I will go on it. Malls and stores are privately owned and they let you walk in there. But you've got to obey their rules. More or less that means have respect in there and don't cause trouble.
Like I said, I will only avoid a road or trail if it says "POSTED..NO TRESSPASSING".

LongIslandPiney

Explorer
Jan 11, 2006
LARGO said:
I believe the same restrictions apply to the entire run of the access roads.
While they will save you some time in some travels there are enough trails to where it's not worth chancing using those. They are popular in ATV circles though.

Yeah the ATV's are a real problem in our pine barrens. Often the preserves will have walls or fences along the perimiter so ATV's can't get in (though this makes hiking access a pain). But the Power line ROWs don't, and the ATV's get access in that way. ATV riding is illegal in all county and state preserves here in NY, but despite signs everywhere stating that ATV use is illegal, ATV's are quite a frequent occurance here.
I am against the ATV use because it messes up the trails. What happens is you get alot of small hills in the trails and sand roads, I think it's called "washboarding", makes for a very unpleasant walk.
The DEC needs to do a better job of securing their roads along with the cooperation of LIPA. They should have locked gates of the larger kind, and small gates that are unlocked for hiking access.

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
00xj54 said:
gotta be careful, in nj privet land does not have to be posted, you can still get in trouble for being on privet land with no posters.

deesweet

Apr 5, 2006
Bellmawr, NJ
If your talking about where Jackson (in medford ends) I go thru there all the time to get to Evesham Twp/Atco and there is a good amount of traffic daily. I don't remember seeing any signs and I've never had any problems.

Pine Baron

Explorer
Feb 23, 2008
Sandy Run
Power Line Clearing

Has anyone seen the clearing being done under the power lines in Waterford? The end of Tremont Ave at the intersection of Burnt Mill Rd has about a 1/4 mile section under the lines that has the trees topped only. Most of these trees weren't tall enough to worry the wires, anyway. My guess is they'll cut them off flush, eventually, but for now it looks like heck.

Attachments

• 3-.jpg
    3-.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 308

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Has anyone seen the clearing being done under the power lines in Waterford? The end of Tremont Ave at the intersection of Burnt Mill Rd has about a 1/4 mile section under the lines that has the trees topped only. Most of these trees weren't tall enough to worry the wires, anyway. My guess is they'll cut them off flush, eventually, but for now it looks like heck.

That was done back this way a while back along a good stretch where they cross the Old White Horse Pike. Looked like heck at first but I guess it keeps them ahead of the growth (before they do get too tall to worry about) and only a short time later it filled in with growth and just looks like a low cut area. Don't even really notice it anymore.

g.

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
Winslow WMA has high tension lines and the utility keeps them cut pretty clear. The ground cover that grows attracts lots of deer. The only bad part is one of the lines passes over the boat launch at Oak Pond. I get static shocks from the line when unloading my canoe.

Pine Baron

Explorer
Feb 23, 2008
Sandy Run
I've had the same thing happen to me at Oak Pond. It won't
stop me though, I love that place.
I just thought that if your gonna clear, go all the way, and take them
to the ground.
It's only my opinion, but it would look better than this!

Attachments

• 4-.jpg
    4-.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 302

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I suspect they will eventually remove it all. They are doing that on all the power lines around this area. Maybe it is a 5, 10, or 15 year thing and this is the year.

Guy