Hiking partner

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
If your looking for a hiking partner in the Pines or surrounding area I am available at times. I belong to a hiking group known as the MadAtlantic Yackpackers--We hike all over the NJ, PA, DE, WV area. Drop a line and I'll alert you when I'm getting out, or post something and see what happens.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
virginiapiney said:
Are you a Wharton ranger?

Are you a serial killer?

Just kidding virginia. We don't know you. I'd die if my daughter answered your post and agreed to meet you at the Batsto Fire tower.

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
Rangers certainly are people too!:D I work as a ranger for the National Park Service out of the Philadelphia region. I Can't think of another organization I'd rather work for.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
pinelandpaddler said:
I wonder how many rangers are posting on this board. Any ideas, Virginiapiney?

Not that my say matters but I would welcome & consider ranger's of the pines and anywhere else for that matter's opinions. I really do think and hope in at least one aspect or another we work towards the same goal.
I may see thru rose colored glasses but I don't think a heart surgeon picks that career just to make big $$$$ any more than a park / forestry ranger picks it to make their small $$. They both must do it for a core interest and love for their respective vocations.
I obviously have posts that would not indicate a total following of the rules and I think the majority here have slipped a little now and again mostly in the interests of enjoying the pines. I would like to hope that it's your best intentions that get noticed, not your slight infractions.
Instead of rangers lurking on the sight I would think jumping into the dialogue would be more welcome. Didn't I see a recent post indicating that debate,difference of opinion, and ideal makes for a better forum.
It could be interesting,fun, and educational for all concerned.
Ooh ramblings once again, ENJOY ALL.

g.

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
I certainly didn't join the National Park Service for big bucks, but out of ideals and love of both cultural and natural resources. It is my job to protect them in any place I find them. I follow all park guidlines today, whether state or federal, not because of my position, but out of a care of the resources. Most posting here would respect "out of bounds" camping, but some would undoubtedly abuse the setting and ecosystem in general. That is why the standard is set. Take a look at the constant abuse at Apple Pie Hill, and that's in a designated area. Its hard to justify the opening up of areas when on line sites are being damaged.
If the state of NJ could afford more rangers I am sure more locations could be opened up, but with budgets declining not increasing no one should expect to see an opening of back country sites. Perhaps limiting vehicle traffic would cut down on damaged locations and obnoxious parties, but that would be time and money the states not willing to shell out.. Enjoy some off trail hiking, its definitely fun and can be non damaging to the environment, but I would still warn against camping in non designated sites.

Piney Boy said:
If the state of NJ could afford more rangers ......

Gee, I didn't know NJ was poor. With the highest median income in the country you'd think we could afford more rangers.
Somehow poor ol' NY has wilderness camping FOR FREE!!!! And somehow they even managed to build lean-tos at some of the sites. Maybe if good ol' Gov Corzine didn't blow all our money on that Super Bowl party that I saw he was having as I passed by on Sunday, we could afford some more rangers. And I mean rangers, not cops, but someone that know about the Pines.

Steve

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Good Post Piney Boy

I liked your words indeed, well spoken.
Thats what I meant and thats just one ranger fellow. wouldn't it be great to have more !
I know the monetary compensations are probably slight so it rings true that you care. ( But hey, you still have time to be a heart surgeon )

G.

Krloucks

Explorer
Oct 22, 2005
Bensalem, Pa
www.krloucks.com
Piney boy

Thanks Piney Boy, I never pursued my first love (herpetology) in college because a professor warned me about being unemployed. I now consider myself a 30 year amature professional. The forestry service was another pursuit gone awry along with being a Park Ranger. I know there is still time but my current bills would surpass those wages I surmise. I applaud your thoughts and your ethics and you've shown that if you love what you do, than your job is not really work after all.
kyle

4x4Jim

Scout
Jan 20, 2006
Whats wrong with rangers reading this forum? Its not like we are meeting here to discuss important world domination. I was seriously thinking about becomming a ranger. To control the retards of the woods though. Driving around in the woods, with a gun, going anywhere I damn well please?? That is the perfect job if the right person gets the opportunity to do it.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
BEHR655 said:
Gee, I didn't know NJ was poor. With the highest median income in the country you'd think we could afford more rangers.
Somehow poor ol' NY has wilderness camping FOR FREE!!!! And somehow they even managed to build lean-tos at some of the sites. Maybe if good ol' Gov Corzine didn't blow all our money on that Super Bowl party that I saw he was having as I passed by on Sunday, we could afford some more rangers. And I mean rangers, not cops, but someone that know about the Pines.

Steve

Well stated, Steve! When I tell out of staters about the some of laws in the state forest they can't believe it.