Hiking Question for the Atco Area.

NJHIKERADAM

Scout
Jul 19, 2006
On March 31st I have a wedding reception in Atco at 5pm. I was wondering if Atsion is the closest organized hiking area or is there something closer? Also is there a place to take showers at Atsion or local truck stop with shower facilities in the area? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Atsion is only about 20 minutes from Atco so that is probably your best place to go. As far as showers go, there is a lake with a bath house there but I don't think it would be open yet.

Steve

Yea..I think Steve is correct. You will have problems I think finding a place to take a shower or wash up.

Guy

davensj

Explorer
Apr 8, 2004
The Real South Jersey
On March 31st I have a wedding reception in Atco at 5pm. I was wondering if Atsion is the closest organized hiking area or is there something closer? Also is there a place to take showers at Atsion or local truck stop with shower facilities in the area? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Is it an open Bar???

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
For the walk, from Atco you can get in some nice walking on/off or around Burnt Mill Road clear down towards Sandy Cause way and in to Parkdale if you're willing.
For your cleaning, there are some fine "motel" establishments in classy Atco that would rent you a room by the hour. Hygenic conditions not withstanding.

g.

NJHIKERADAM

Scout
Jul 19, 2006
Is Atco really that bad? Lol...I have never been there. Do they really have rooms by the hour there? Interesting Wilkepedia listing

Atco is an unincorporated area in Camden County, New Jersey, in Waterford Township in the Philadelphia-Camden metropolitan area, located 16 miles (26 km) southeast of Camden at 39.769 North, -74.887 West. The town is at the western edge of Wharton State Forest and the Pine Barrens. Atco is the home of the Atco Raceway, and served as the location for movie, Eddie and the Cruisers in 1983. An episode of Viva La Bam was shot at the raceway. The area is served as United States Postal Service ZIP Code 08004.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
ATCO, not so bad?

Forgive me, it's a Waterford thing.

But yes, there are a couple seedy motels along the pike.
get something cheap enough, who cares right?
I am guessing you are going to Shannon Caterers?
The trail/road I speak of is 2 minutes from there if that is the case.
Sorry I do not have a better suggestion on the cleanup.
Good luck all the same.

g.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Is the trail/road a sand road? Is there anything interesting along the way?

Regarding both your posts...
You will hopefully enjoy Shannon's. They were good to me regarding my wedding.
From Shannon's I would say your "hike" is best suited following Burnt Mill road in off the old pike bridge from route 30 East, you would not continue on the old pike however bear left immediately at the base of the bridge. This is all easily seen on Google Maps. You could actually take just about any vehicle as far in to the woods as you would like. In walking or driving eventually you would pass a pretty but private lake to your right, Beaverdam. It's normal fare past that till you get to Sandycause Way. If you go left or North if you will, There's Parkdale to be found or you could follow the Fleming Pike or the JCR over a couple Trestles. Good stuff. Might be a bit for the layperson but I gather you're a sturdy hiker. Just a couple thoughts.