Hiking to the Forked River Mountain...how?

Jersey Jeff

Explorer
Jun 22, 2012
I've searched the Web & forum for info on hiking the Forked River Mountains and so far I've come up empty. All of the posts here on the forum have dealt with driving to certain spots in the area. NJCF and FRMC just offer general maps of the region. I'd just like to park my car somewhere and walk around for a few hours to the Forked River Mountain and back.

A Google Maps search shows lots of sand roads, so I may just wander around there. Any recommended spots to leave my car and routes to take by foot?

Lloyd Taylor

Oct 16, 2012
Waretown, NJ
I've searched the Web & forum for info on hiking the Forked River Mountains and so far I've come up empty. All of the posts here on the forum have dealt with driving to certain spots in the area. NJCF and FRMC just offer general maps of the region. I'd just like to park my car somewhere and walk around for a few hours to the Forked River Mountain and back.

A Google Maps search shows lots of sand roads, so I may just wander around there. Any recommended spots to leave my car and routes to take by foot?
Jeff, where was this picture taken?

Reactions: Jersey Jeff

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
You can park your car at rt 539 and then walk in via Bryant Rd (a dirt rd thats at least a couple miles walk to the mt). Just print a map because you have to stay to the left at 2 forks in the road. I usually just drive all the way back to the mt, though. There are some trails around the top and a couple lead to the smaller "mountains" and some other vistas. Enjoy!

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Thanks guys. Looks like MotionX can only use its own maps and all you can import are .gpx files (tracks, routes and waypoints). You would need a Garmin GPS for this map http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/294/, but you can use/print it on your computer with Garmin's free Basecamp program. Download/install the program first, then download/install the map: http://www8.garmin.com/support/mappingsw.jsp

The online map at boydsmaps.com can be accessed with your phone in Safari but will not track your position. It's a work in progress and really isn't optimized for the screen on a phone.

I have some other maps in the .kmz (Google) format. They were made for use on Garmin handhelds, but should work with any software that can read .kmz files. For a list of these, go here http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/byuser/282/ and click the box that says "Garmin Custom" then click the "Filter Results" button. This one gives you high resolution aerial imagery plus a USGS 24k map of the FRM area: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/241/

Jersey Jeff

Explorer
Jun 22, 2012
Yeah, as technically adept as I consider myself to be, I have found GPS devices and their related software incredibly complex and confusing. I downloaded Basecamp last week but have been unable to import any of your maps yet. I'll keep trying.

DeepXplor

Explorer
Nov 5, 2008
Jersey Shore
You can drive your car to the top of the Mt, if you have a Jeep or something like that. Once up on the Mt. and you want to hike, there are a couple of trails that lead you down the Mt and then hike back up. On a clear day you can see Lakhurst in one direction and the Barnegat Lighthouse in the other direction.

Reactions: WaretownMike

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek

Joseph Hayes

Mar 13, 2013
In the past i have also just parked off one of to the side of one of the existing roads and walked in, the overlook on the forked mountain is impressive.

Glenn Walters

Explorer
Oct 2, 2013
You can park your car at rt 539 and then walk in via Bryant Rd (a dirt rd thats at least a couple miles walk to the mt). Just print a map because you have to stay to the left at 2 forks in the road. I usually just drive all the way back to the mt, though. There are some trails around the top and a couple lead to the smaller "mountains" and some other vistas. Enjoy!

If 5.7 miles is a couple of miles then you'd be correct sir. Over 11 miles round trip

Glenn Walters

Explorer
Oct 2, 2013
Heading west on Lacey Rd from parkway. Just after mile marker 7 there is a gate on the right side of road. There is also area to park on grass. Almost directly across from gate is a trail head. No "POSTED" signs. The trail runs along the north side of Factory Branch. Take it to the end. Make left onto powerline road. About quarter mile road forks to right. Bear right take to end. Make right then first left. Will take you to summit. Exactly 3 miles each way. So 6 miles round trip. Nice walk. Have done it many times. Enjoy.