Historic Photos of the Pines

Folks:

I have established a new album containing ten historic photographs taken in the Pine Barrens. Unfortunately, I have no information about where, when, and who took the images and who the people might be in some of the pictures. The paper appears to be albumen paper, which dates the photos to sometime in the last twenty years or so of the nineteenth century or the first ten years of the twentieth century. Based on the clothing and the wagons shown in the photographs, I believe the images date to sometime in the 1890s.

I hope you enjoy viewing these photos even though I cannot supply any information about them:

http://gallery.njpinebarrens.com/showgallery.php?cat=523

Best regards,
Jerseyman

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
A very nice offering. Thank you Jerseyman.
Looking through a different lens & eyes but enjoying the same offerings the Pines give us today. Truly a gentlemen's stroll, perhaps an ancestral version of the PBX.

g.

Tom

Explorer
Feb 10, 2004
Nice pictures, Jerseyman.

It is interesting how formal things were 100 years ago. I was going through some pictures of my grandmother, when she was about 5, at the beach with her grandparents (about 1920) and all the men on the beach were in suits and top hats. It must have been very uncomforable.

lgench

Explorer
Jan 19, 2005
Bristol, PA
Thanx for posting those great photos. My mother was born and raised in Atlantic City. I have many photos of that area in the teens and twenties. Amazing to see how they were dressed on the boardwalk.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Great Photo's! It sure looks like the pines.

Nobody ever seems to be having a good time in old photo's. No smiles. I guess the ride was quite uncomfortable.

Thanks Jerseyman!

Guy

Oct 25, 2006
Great Photo's! It sure looks like the pines.

Nobody ever seems to be having a good time in old photo's. No smiles. I guess the ride was quite uncomfortable.

Thanks Jerseyman!

Guy

Could be the wool suits.:D ,besides the ride. I hardly ever smiled in the first couple of years of gradeschool, couldn't wait to get home and get out of it. Itchy all day.

Just imagine the Battle Of Gettysburg was fought in those wool uniforms by both sides, on the hottest three days in the beginning of July.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Very cool Jerseyman. It is not inconceivable at all that those were members of a botanical or geological expedition. The pines in the late 17th century was prime time for exploration of the flora and geography. The plains were considered a wonder and the barrens as a whole also, as they exhibit the ability to support both southern and northern plant species, and there are many accounts of international visitors being shown around. Some gentlemen who come to mind are Witmer Stone, John Harshberger, Bayard Long, Dr. Bernard Brinton, S.S. Van Pelt, and others.

Bob:

I initially thought they might be part of a botanical or natural science group. I did compare the images to a portrait I have of State Geologist George Hamill Cook, but I cannot identify him among the group, so I discounted this as being any type of "official" outing. Perhaps it is a group from either the Torrey Botanical Club or the Haddonfield Natural Science Club.

In any case, these guys are out "four-wheelin'" with just one horse power! Imagine that!!

I'm glad you all have enjoyed the images. I'll see what other gems I can find in my collection as time permits!

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Maybe Joe1999 will recognize one of the trees and we will know where it was :D

Guy