Historic Preservation in Wharton State Forest: A Lost Cause?

What would you most like to see at historic sites in Wharton State Forest?

• Total voters

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
Bob,

Even better, Ben wrote the Atsion narrative for the VAF proceedings. Way to go, Ben! Our good friend Jerseyman was busy on the Bayshore tour, along with West Jersey Round Table fellow Professor Mike Chiarappa of Quinnipiac University. All the heavy hitters were out for this event. South Jersey's cultural heritage is not a lost cause. Feedback has been outstanding.

Screen shot 2014-05-12 at 11.32.57 PM.png

S-M

Reactions: Ben Ruset

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
Bob,

Much has been written on the core area, yet much less is commemorated outside that zone even though it is spatially larger. The southern portion’s cultural map is much denser too. When invited to write the VAF essay a regurgitation of already published material like Wacker’s “Human exploitation of the New Jersey Pine Barrens before 1900” was unacceptable. I wanted a refreshing perspective. It’s not so much a South Jersey/North Jersey divide, but maybe one of East and West Jersey.

My goal was two-fold. I wanted to add geographic balance to the Pinelands cultural record, and I wanted to take a knock at the Pinelands Commission to remind them of their duty to preserve, protect, and enhance the region’s cultural resource. While the VAF, a national conference, was well attended by Trenton-based preservationists I saw no representation from the Pinelands Commission. Surprise, surprise.

S-M

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
The book Down Jersey – From Bayshore to Seashore is now online. You can access the volume through the Stockton College Library site "Digital Collections."

I tried to put direct links specifically to Ben's piece on Atsion mansion (Chapter 5, 22) and Ted's piece on the Birch's Cranberry Company (Chapter 5, 25), but library site mechanics seem to limit their direct access.

Many thanks to the Library Digital Team, and Technical Services Librarian (and professor) Jian Wang. Best of all, the work is searchable by subject terms or words and phrases within the book's content. Within each chapter is an "object description" that provides bibliographic information.

A fully cited version of "Sugar Sand Opportunity: Landscape and People of the Pines" was reproduced online as the Feature Article in the Vernacular Architecture Newsletter (Summer 2014) courtesy of NJ VAF 2014.

Enjoy!
SM

Screen shot 2014-12-21 at 1.48.27 PM.png

Last edited: