Historic Sawmill Pictures

PineyRoots

Apr 5, 2009
Galloway
Thank you for the great info on the sawmills of the Pines throughout the forum. My Great-Grandfather Edward Archer, was a sawyer in the Pine Barrens back in the early 1900's. I never got to meet him, but I'm sure he had some great stories about the area. My grandmother remembers every Sunday afternoon he would load up the family in the Peerless and drive up to the woods. We have family pictures of them visiting the Carranza memorial when it was first erected. Back in the '30's, she remembers going to Harrisville where he showed her a pile of sawdust a few feet high. He told her when they made that pile, it was much, much bigger, way over their heads. I asked her if she would remember where it was if we went there, but she said she couldn't since she was little when she last saw it. She said he had mentioned staying in cabins and logging in such places as Sim Place, Hog Wallow, Harrisville, Calico, and Sandy Ridge. He would wave his red handkerchief or lantern to catch a ride on the train, probably trying to head to Hammonton area where his family lived at the time. I know he worked for Bozarth Lumber, but I'm not sure if that was early times while he worked in the pines, or later when he worked at the yard in Egg Harbor City.
His ancestors were basketmakers and farmers from Archertown in New Egypt. I'm trying to gather information about Archertown but no luck on it's early beginnings so far.
I'm trying to get as much info as I can from my grandmother and write it down. I'm hoping she'll remember more stories from him about the sawmills and the woods. I'm happy to see others here documenting the areas, and taking pictures. It's very interesting to me. I feel at home walking those sandy roads. I imagine my G-Grandpop walked the exact same roads.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Thank you for the great info on the sawmills of the Pines throughout the forum. My Great-Grandfather Edward Archer, was a sawyer in the Pine Barrens back in the early 1900's. I never got to meet him, but I'm sure he had some great stories about the area. My grandmother remembers every Sunday afternoon he would load up the family in the Peerless and drive up to the woods. We have family pictures of them visiting the Carranza memorial when it was first erected. Back in the '30's, she remembers going to Harrisville where he showed her a pile of sawdust a few feet high. He told her when they made that pile, it was much, much bigger, way over their heads. I asked her if she would remember where it was if we went there, but she said she couldn't since she was little when she last saw it. She said he had mentioned staying in cabins and logging in such places as Sim Place, Hog Wallow, Harrisville, Calico, and Sandy Ridge. He would wave his red handkerchief or lantern to catch a ride on the train, probably trying to head to Hammonton area where his family lived at the time. I know he worked for Bozarth Lumber, but I'm not sure if that was early times while he worked in the pines, or later when he worked at the yard in Egg Harbor City.
His ancestors were basketmakers and farmers from Archertown in New Egypt. I'm trying to gather information about Archertown but no luck on it's early beginnings so far.
I'm trying to get as much info as I can from my grandmother and write it down. I'm hoping she'll remember more stories from him about the sawmills and the woods. I'm happy to see others here documenting the areas, and taking pictures. It's very interesting to me. I feel at home walking those sandy roads. I imagine my G-Grandpop walked the exact same roads.

Thank you for posting this. It is always interesting to hear stories such as yours. If you ever learn anything you should write something up and pass it along. You should also try to visit some of locations mentioned if you have not already.

http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/showthread.php?t=6235&highlight=sawmills

Guy

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
It is always a pleasure to have someone post who has genealogical ties to the pine barrens. Especially when it is connected to PB history and /or culture. Piney roots, there are some saw mill locations around the harrisville area (see the one near Martha bridge) that might have been the area in question. It is deep in the cedars and has suffered substantial decay, probably due to such a wet environment.

Jeff

BTW, Guy, after seeing the sawmill link for the first time in a while I noticed the location along mount misery brook that I found is omitted. Did I ask you not to post that one?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Bob is correct, that is the one I am referring to and, yes, it is not confirmed as a saw mill but it is very likely.

I did not know about that one. I don't remember you mentioning it.

Guy

PineyRoots

Apr 5, 2009
Galloway
I just wanted to add another sawyer story from the pines from my family that my grandmother recently told me.
Apparently, my great grandfather Archer that I mentioned in a post above a few yrs back, was staying in one of the cabins around in the woods the sawyers would stay at while working. Well, he stayed there with another work buddy this particular week, and the workers staying there the following week were a little angry. It seems that my g.grandfather and his work buddy were picking flies off the ceiling one afternoon- with their pistols. The upstairs of the cabin, having new holes in it, was causing the next guys to stub their toes and get splinters in their feet at night.
If she remembers more sawmill or work stories like these I'll post again!