HistoricAerials

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I had a stick go in my eye and had some issues for a while. It hurt so bad all I tried to do was sleep to stop the pain.

Remember the stick in my ear? You can see part of my ear drum on it from when the doctor pulled it out. The loudest sound I have ever heard. He had everyone who works in the office looking in my ear and they all watched him pull it out. A doctor I visited and the emergency room did not see it in my ear. My family doctor finally saw it too weeks later after I went there because during our "Ides of March" PBX hike my ear kept clicking so bad I could not hear properly.

stick in ear.jpg

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I went to Wills Eye Emergency a week ago early on a Sunday morning. I was cutting metal with a right angle grinder and a small, less than 1mm, piece went into my cornea. After two days of eye washing and rubbing my eyelid to no avail I decided to get it looked at.
The only thing that scared me (more than going into the Big City) was that the Doctor made Doogie Howser look like an old man. He was an MD though and he apparently knew what he was doing. :)

He numbed and dilated my eye and gently stabbed the metal out with the tip of a needle. :eek:
The dilation allowed him to look at my retina and to make sure I had nothing behind my eye. He did an eyelid flip and then firmly swabbed the underside of my eyelid and eye socket. Yee hawww ! That was the most uncomfortable part.

I was given antibiotic drops to use 4 times a day and artificial tears. I followed up with my regular ophthalmologist (a Wills Eye affiliate) last Thursday and all is well. I treat now for glaucoma and see her 4 times per year.

I still feel a slight itchy irritation but it feels worlds better than a week ago. Fortunately, here was no affect on my visual acuity.

Take care of your eyes Al, get the best doctors you can. As I once said to my regular doc, "Vision is not overrated."
Are you saying you now have Glaucoma? My Mom has it and the Doc knows this and is constantly watching me for it.They cannot give me any eye drops that contain steroids,it instantly sends my eye pressure to the moon.At first they thought I had glaucoma till they figured out it was the drops they were giving me that was doing it.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I might as well continue the hijack. An old friend of mine was cutting lines for his deer club about 30 years ago and a stick went through his eye. Man, I hate when that happens.
He had an intraocular lens implant performed and it has held up pretty well
I"ve also got fake lenses in both eyes from cataract surgery I had done two years ago. I told my wife as a sick joke when I die I"m going to donate my eyes to someone. She said I am a sick man:-(

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Are you saying you now have Glaucoma? My Mom has it and the Doc knows this and is constantly watching me for it.They cannot give me any eye drops that contain steroids,it instantly sends my eye pressure to the moon.At first they thought I had glaucoma till they figured out it was the drops they were giving me that was doing it.

I have a family history for glaucoma. I have taken drops for about 7 years now. Started with Xalatan and Lumigan is the one I use now.
The $60.00 copay every 25 days kills me. There is no generic for it. The doctor tries to give me at least one sample bottle each time I go for a visit which helps.

My pressure stays at 14-16mm/Hg with the drops.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
What was your pressure before the drops? Mine is 17 to 19. I just got a field of vision test and optic nerve scan (OCT) for the forth year in arrow. All fine for now. Another brain MRI in May, benign tumor.

Last edited:

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
What was your pressure before the drops? Mine is 17 to 19. I just got a field of vision test and optic nerve scan (OTC) for the forth year in arrow. All fine for now. Another brain MRI in May, benign tumor.

I was hovering around 20-21 Ed, before I started treating.
With Xalatan I started creeping into the 18 range after two years of treating. Lumigan has been a winner so far.
>22 is considered high and with family history they start treating before it gets there.

enormiss

Explorer
Aug 18, 2015
Atco NJ
So not to be left out I recently had a viral infection in my eye that almost led to cornea transplant. Permanent vision loss but cornea remains my original equipment LoL

Reactions: janwor

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I wasn't going to ask, but; How did it get in there?

Jessica and I went to Grove Park along 539 to search out the roads on the map a member of this site posted. While walking through the woods I turned to talk to Jessica and a branch of a tree went right into my ear puncturing the ear drum. Instantly my hearing faltered and I kept hearing a clicking sound. I left immediately and drove to a doctor who told me they saw a mark on my eardrum. They sent me to the hospital. The emergency room doctor told me it seemed okay but I should go to my family doctor. When the weekend was over it seemed better so I passed on going to the doctor. But in a few weeks I started hearing my heart beat in my ear. Odd! During the PBX hike I made the decision that something was seriously wrong and when I visited the doctor she could not believe the other two individuals did not see the stick. She called the ear doctor directly and he told me to come as his first patient in the morning. He told me if it had gone a little further I would have had lifelong injuries.

Sorry Boyd :)

Two_Maps.jpg

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
The $60.00 copay every 25 days kills me.

Some of these script medications are crazy expensive. After my son's surgery he is on blood thinners, $650/month, but covered by WC. SIL is on a combo script at $450/month and not covered. I suggested she ask her doc to prescribe the individual drugs, which are covered. Some combo meds are just conveniences, expensive ones.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Guy, your general practitioner is a woman?

I have my main doctor that I visit but he is not always there. So I may get any of the others if I want a quick appointment.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I was hovering around 20-21 Ed, before I started treating.
With Xalatan I started creeping into the 18 range after two years of treating. Lumigan has been a winner so far.
>22 is considered high and with family history they start treating before it gets there.
My pressure hovers at 20,21 but the steroid drops jacked it up to 60.I thought the doc was going to stroke out.he said, aren't you in pain? I said no.I guess 60 is not good.