History of the Brooksbrae Brick Company

autumn_mist

May 28, 2007
Pemberton, NJ
Could anyone point me in the direction of articles, maps, and/or photogaphs relating to the history of the Brooksbrae Brick Company? I'd love to find some old blueprints or photographs of the place to see what it looked like in its prime.

Oct 25, 2006
Welcome to the site. If you do not have Henry Charlton Beck's book Forgotten Towns OF Southern New Jersey i recommend buying it, there is a chapter on it that starts on page 101,he mistakenly called it the Pasadena Terra Cotta Factory which was incorrect.

autumn_mist

May 28, 2007
Pemberton, NJ
Welcome to the site Autumn. Have you looked at any of the articles here? This one that touches on the subject: http://www.njpinebarrens.com/content/view/29/45/

Thanks for the welcome. Yes, I've read a lot of the articles on this site, including some of the ones from people exploring out there. I've visited the site several times (twice as part of a school outing), but when I recently took a trip out there with my husband, he was asking me questions about the place which unfortunately, I did not have the answers to. I knew the name of the place, and basically what it had been used for (both past and present), but it seems the place is pretty well shrouded in mystery. I did not know that 4 people have died on the site in previous times, but I have heard about people being tortured and possibly killed there in recent years (about 5-6 years ago) by a group of satanists who had taken up residence there. The whole place has my curiousity peaked, and I would love to know anything and everything I can about the place, but it seems like very few people know (or are willing to talk about it), and no one has original photos/blueprints. The search must continue! Thank you for your help, and I hope to see you around more (I'll be making a new thread sometime soon about the Magnolia Road Tavern located near Ong's Hat road - I saw it mentioned here, and its definitely not a hells angels hangout *lol*)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I would think that the story of being tortured there may be a tall tale that someone passed around. As for blueprints, I would think that Jerseyman from this site would have them if they existed. I also doubt that he has them or he most likely would have mentioned it. I have a survey of the property that as far as I know shows more than anything I have ever viewed, and that shows very little.

I wish you the best in your search, and hope you do come up with something. Good Luck!

Guy

autumn_mist

May 28, 2007
Pemberton, NJ
I don't know about that. When I went there in 2001 there were animal remains and what appeared to be blood all over the place along with burnt candles and satanic symbols (thankfully gone now). As far as for humans, I am not sure, however rumor has it someone made it away from there and to one of the nearby homes in need of medical asistance claiming they had been captured by satanist and held there so who really knows. I'm definitely going to keep searching, and I'll keep everyone posted.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
A few years back I was heading down Pasadena road at dusk when I thought I caught a glimpse of someone crossing from the greenwood WMA to the west, over the road, towards Brooksbrae on the east. What struck me as odd was that he/she was dressed in very dark clothes, and seemed to move frantically. It was little more than a glimpse and I was uncertain if I'd seen anyone at all. Now I wonder...

diggersw

Scout
Dec 4, 2003
Freehold Area
Visit site
The area seems to have developed its own identity. I know that there is a pagan group that meets in the area called "Red Oak Grove" (not to be confused with the ghost town of the same name), but as far as "Satanist" activity, I would be skeptical. There would be police reports to substantiate such claims of abduction and human sacrifice. And, before claims are made about such activities, I would check old police blotters and contact the local PD. I think that more than anything, there is just a group of really bored local teens who use and abuse the area. And, coupled with the local tradition of folklore (there are many fanciful tales of goings-on in the pine barrens), these bored kids' stories begin to take on lives of their own. Sometimes, they have a factual base, but are often very far removed from that.

In addition to alternative religions, paintballers also frequent the area and have abundantly left their mark on the structural remains.

autumn_mist

May 28, 2007
Pemberton, NJ
Yeah, if you want to get all hopped up on cults and what not just pick up a copy of WeirdNJ. They make a killing on stories like that.

No thanks, they also lead to places being destroyed or put under 24/7 police watches because of "weird nj hunters". I'm just after the entire history of the place - good, bad and mysterious.

autumn_mist

May 28, 2007
Pemberton, NJ
The area seems to have developed its own identity. I know that there is a pagan group that meets in the area called "Red Oak Grove" (not to be confused with the ghost town of the same name), but as far as "Satanist" activity, I would be skeptical. There would be police reports to substantiate such claims of abduction and human sacrifice. And, before claims are made about such activities, I would check old police blotters and contact the local PD. I think that more than anything, there is just a group of really bored local teens who use and abuse the area. And, coupled with the local tradition of folklore (there are many fanciful tales of goings-on in the pine barrens), these bored kids' stories begin to take on lives of their own. Sometimes, they have a factual base, but are often very far removed from that.

In addition to alternative religions, paintballers also frequent the area and have abundantly left their mark on the structural remains.

Yeah, I saw the paintball mess when I was there last weekend. Like I said, all I've heard about actual human abduction is rumors so its one more thing that needs investigation, but I saw for myself the animal remains and such back in 2001. Our high school used to go there as part of a tour of the Pine Barrens (we all live there), but those trips were cancelled after the one in 2001 after all the remains/symbols/blood and such were found by the students. When my dad retired from the state in 2002, there were talks of demolishing the place because of the activities that had been going on there, but I'm guessing the historical society stepped in or something because obvously the ruins are still there. I know some of the guys that work up around there (state rangersand such) so I'll have to get in touch with them and see what they know.

autumn_mist

May 28, 2007
Pemberton, NJ
More Brooksbrae History

Most of us know about the tragic death of the caretaker and his wife that happened September 13th (I forget the year off the top of my head), but today I found this:

New Jersey Mirror, dated 17 Oct 1917:

Reports of a supposed murder and suicide at Pasadena, between Chatsworth and Whitings, were brought back last week by deer-hunters who were locating stands for the opening of the season today. The tragedy occurred on Thursday at Brooks Brae brick manufacturing plant at Pasadena, in Ocean county, a short distance over the Burlington county line. The supposed murderer and suicide was Gildo Plazziano, a watchman at the brick plant, and his victim was Harriet, the 12-year-old daughter of Samuel Chattin, living nearby. Nothing was known of the crime until a small shack in which Plazziano lived was discovered to be on fire. The girl's father and brother hastened to the scene and were in time to see the bodies of the man and the girl lying on a cot in the bedroom, but on account of the heat they were unable to rescue them from the flames and they were so badly charred when recovered that it was impossible to determine the cause of death. The supposition is that the man had attacked the child and then, realizing the enormity of his crime, had killed her, set fire to the shack and then committed suicide. Plazziano was indicted three years ago for selling liquor without a license in the building in which the tragedy occurred.

Buck

Scout
Jan 23, 2007
Whiting
I am pretty skeptical that anyone was abducted and held over there. Sounds like it is just a rumor. I never saw anything about it, though it is newsworthy and the Manchester Police are not the type of department to hush things up. Never heard any cop talk about it either. And it seems an unlikely place to try and take someone you kidnapped, being so close to the road and frequented by people, including rangers and hunters. And the blood, etc. was probably just some kids were screwing around, as they usually do. Unless everyone is in on it....

gagliarchives

Explorer
Mar 7, 2004
gagliarchives.com
Nothing goes on out there of any mystery. I believe people 'want' something to be mystical about it. It's just not there. Stories are always embelleshed. I used to want it to be true that this may have happened or that may have happened. It usually is never true. It's just a normal place secluded by trees. No ghosts, no sacrificing, none of that nonsense.
Next thing you know there are paint balls everywhere.

diggersw

Scout
Dec 4, 2003
Freehold Area
Visit site
After reading that article about the Brooks Brae Factory a couple more times, it looks like typical folk lore. I am sure that it is based upon some fact, but it would be interesting to locate the actual police reports for that area. Ironically, there were several instances in that area that Italian immigrants were blamed for illicit activities. In fact, the deaths of the older couple were also blamed on an italian immigrant. Amazing the prejudice that was prevalent in those days. This is not to say that we do not have our own prejudice in this day and age, but merely illustrates how rampant and unchecked it was back then.

After reading that article about the Brooks Brae Factory a couple more times, it looks like typical folk lore. I am sure that it is based upon some fact, but it would be interesting to locate the actual police reports for that area. Ironically, there were several instances in that area that Italian immigrants were blamed for illicit activities. In fact, the deaths of the older couple were also blamed on an italian immigrant. Amazing the prejudice that was prevalent in those days. This is not to say that we do not have our own prejudice in this day and age, but merely illustrates how rampant and unchecked it was back then.

My grandfather, rest his soul, was what you might call a "pillar or his community". A descent man of high morals. Never heard him say a foul word. I don't even think I remember him saying "darn" or "heck". However this man had a rather strong dislike for Italians which he called "grease balls". Now I don't know why he had this dislike for Italians. I can only guess they were the "Immigrants De Jour" of his generation, being born in the very late 1800's.

Steve

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
My grandfather, rest his soul, was what you might call a "pillar or his community". A descent man of high morals. Never heard him say a foul word. I don't even think I remember him saying "darn" or "heck". However this man had a rather strong dislike for Italians which he called "grease balls". Now I don't know why he had this dislike for Italians. I can only guess they were the "Immigrants De Jour" of his generation, being born in the very late 1800's. Steve

My grandfather on my mothers side (100% eyetalian) in Perth Amboy, always talked about throwing the Puerto Ricans right in the G_D-Damned River.