Hot Shot

Tom

Explorer
Feb 10, 2004
I had been reading about the Black Horse Tavern which was in Mount Holly at the end of the 18th and beginning of the 19th centuries. The proprietor, Zachariah Rossell (Old Zack), was a popular individual known from Philadelphia and New York to England. He served out "Hot Shot" to the British regulars when they invaded NJ.

Can anyone tell me what "Hot Shot" was? Was it another term for Jersey Lightnin'?

Thanks,

Tom

I had been reading about the Black Horse Tavern which was in Mount Holly at the end of the 18th and beginning of the 19th centuries. The proprietor, Zachariah Rossell (Old Zack), was a popular individual known from Philadelphia and New York to England. He served out "Hot Shot" to the British regulars when they invaded NJ.

Can anyone tell me what "Hot Shot" was? Was it another term for Jersey Lightnin'?

Thanks,

Tom

Tom:

Hot shot is a solid iron cannonball that the cannoneer has heated to cherry red. Normally naval vessels would use such ordnance against other ships, but it can also be used for anti-personnel efforts.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Tom

Explorer
Feb 10, 2004
That would explain why he was well known in England! That makes more sense because he would later become a lieutenant during the War of 1812 and had a recruiting office at the corner of Main and Washington Streets.

Thanks Jerseyman.