How did you get started?

I've been going to a campground in tuckerton since i was 9(now 19)For the entire summer, then up to october for weekends, then return in march for weekends untill the summer came again. It's not really camping (40ft trailer) with a fridge and all the amenities(sp) but right behind it it's just the pines. So i'm usually out there either with the quad or just walking.

My question is how did you get started in finding these old relics in the woods. I don't even know where to get started. I have a good amount of gear for the woods but have never tried finding things like this. Any help is appreciated.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The best way is to read old posts right here. If someone spent the time to explore many of the places mentioned here, they would know more than any of us.

Guy

Ya i've been reading alot latley. I stated by actually reading something about the stinkhouse, in barneget bay (i think it's barneget) then reading some history about tuckerton. That site had a link to this one. I must have been reading articles on this site for probably 3 days before i signed up. Do you guys even have a hint sometimes what you are looking for, or do you just decide to randomly wander in the woods and stumble upon something.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Well, if you don't explore then the chances of finding things are much less. I suggest you read a post that interests you, go to the location if it is mentioned, and explore there. If the location is not mentioned, try to find it. Keep doing that and before long it will become easier and you will know so much more.

Guy

Thanks that's a will do. Do you use any kind of map or what? I do have a handheld GPS to take with me will tha suffice, or should i have some sort of map also? If so where can i get it?

Me and a couple of freinds did find something out in the bass river area without meaning to. We were just going to go swimming but we followed the trail a little further as it got a little more narrow it opened back up and t looked like some sort of bridge that has been destroyed over a lake or big stream.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Thanks that's a will do. Do you use any kind of map or what? I do have a handheld GPS to take with me will tha suffice, or should i have some sort of map also? If so where can i get it?

Me and a couple of freinds did find something out in the bass river area without meaning to. We were just going to go swimming but we followed the trail a little further as it got a little more narrow it opened back up and t looked like some sort of bridge that has been destroyed over a lake or big stream.

You can buy the topo maps of the area at Atsion and Batsto. I believe they are $5 each.

If you use Windows download the free USAPhotoMaps and play with it. You can then find the location you want to go and print it out.

http://jdmcox.com/

Guy

Alright thanks i'll give that site a look and get some maps.

Suregremlin: I actually just found out about goecaching about two months ago, and i definetley want to give it a shot. Right now in Ohio i'm near cleveland so i'm not gonna even bother with the urban ones. When i come back to jersey in a week i might give it a shot, if i'm not fishing everyday.

Pine Baron

Explorer
Feb 23, 2008
Sandy Run
Topo Maps

Seven Bridges Angler:

Welcome to the forum.
If your going to be driving around in the pines, topo maps are an invaluable aid. I got my first set many years ago and I was using them today. I keep them in the truck all the time. When you take a wrong turn or get twisted around(easy to do), they're nice to use to get back to asphalt. Good Luck in your travels.

Mar 1, 2008
the best way to find cool spots in the pines is to just find a random dirt road and cruise on down it and see where it takes you. getting lost and trying to find your way back is half the fun in my opinion, so always bring a full tank of gas.

caranza road is a good place to start exploring. there are many trails off to either side that go on for miles. good luck

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
For my wife and I, we got started a few years back. We 1st started by Geocaching, which took us to a location in Wharton State Forest. Being there became immediately infectious to us, even though I recall my Father taking me to the "Pines Barrens" many years ago. Exploring the roads/trails in Wharton got us into exploring some more, sometimes spending all weekends doing nothing riding all those trails in Wharton. That turned into us getting involved in camping. By camping, that fed into my need to explore some more trails. Somewhere during that time, I discovered this site. It's actually the best informative site that I visit and I do belong to over a dozen different type message forums. I've spent countless hours here reading and reading and reading some more. I read something that sparks an interest, then I focus on that particular item, by doing more research here and other places.