HOW MUCH LONGER TILL CHIGGER TIME

foofoo

Explorer
Sep 14, 2003
when will they typically first appear. is there a trigger in the weather or something. i pick blue berries the end of july and never have a problem but go in the woods at the end of august and look out :crazy:

davensj

Explorer
Apr 8, 2004
The Real South Jersey
manumuskin said:
got me a small dose too out to hampton furnace nightherpin in the field.half a dozen bites on both feet.
Al

I had some chigger`s back in May on both leg`s and feet. I never knew there was a time for them,, I used to get them in Fall bow season too. :think:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
NJSnakeMan said:
what do chigger bites look like? small red dots? cause if it is that explains for all those small mysterious red dots on my legs :x

Brandon

They also itch and burn, sometimes for days. If you don't have one of those symptoms, it most likely is not chiggers.

Guy

NJSnakeMan

Explorer
Jun 3, 2004
Atlantic County
There are about 15 on my legs and feet total, they itch a lot and burn on when sitting down not doing anything, but i've had them for about 2 weeks now!!! Chiggers???

Brandon

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
NJSnakeMan said:
There are about 15 on my legs and feet total, they itch a lot and burn on when sitting down not doing anything, but i've had them for about 2 weeks now!!! Chiggers???

Brandon

You bet!!!

The best way to not get them is to wear long pants and knee high boots or waders. If you get them I have found that spraying bug repellant kills them, but the damage is done. Always check yourself closely after coming home from the woods. I always sit out on my step in the sun and look my legs over closely. If I see them I just scrape them off with my finger or nail.

Some people are more effected by them than others. Ben has a real problem with them and lost some work over them last year, and has permanent scars from scratching them he said. I seem to only have burning in the morning and it goes away by mid morning.

Guy

Bobbleton

Explorer
Mar 12, 2004
NJ
I used to think chiggers were a late summer/fall event only . . . this year i was proven wrong. A may trip to lebanon left me utterly infested with the little wankers . . . although they are pointedly more abundant as the weather gets dryer and cooler. I'd say now is a great time for the swarming to begin . . . good luck all.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Gasoline, kerosene, alcohol, bleach or any nasty harmful substance will do.
The only trick is to apply it while they are still walking around on you within an hour or two of being infested..I scrub and scrape like crazy with alcohol immediately after being exposed and then take a hot shower. That still won't get 'em all. Contrary to some thinking, you can definitely see chiggers.
Most people apply their favorite OTC stuff the next day or a few days later thinking they are going to kill them. At that point they are long gone. You can only treat the itch after the first day.
They bite within a few hours of hopping on board and after a little blood snack, they are gone. You react to their anticoagulant saliva for the next week or two or more if you are real sensitive.
I got a load Monday night picking wild cherries.
Oh well.

njvike

Explorer
Jul 18, 2003
Sparta, NJ
home.earthlink.net
After exploring the Pines last year in the summer, I have learned my lesson. I always save at least 10 days of vacation for the fall.

BTW, doesn't this discussion belong in the Bug Reports, Problems and Suggestion forum :lol: I can see how Chiggers would apply to all of them.

Also, Mozilla Firefox works good with this forum and even informs you when the site is updated.

Not bad!

Ken