How much open space

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
in NJ? The question was asked some time back, but I don't recall if it was answered.

1,200,000 acres 1,875 square miles But not in all one place :D

http://www.nj.gov/dep/greenacres/ga50/osmap.html

open.space.jpg

Feb 1, 2016
Camden County, NJ
In addition NJ has 720,000 acres of farmland (9,100 farms) of which 200,000 acres is protected from future development. We are top ten nationally in cranberries, bell peppers, spinach, peaches, blueberries, cucumbers, snap beans, squash, cabbage and tomatoes.

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
Very informative link, thanks. I didn't know the true "Jersey" tomato was an endangered species.
I just know that most fruits and vegetables grown here taste much better than those shipped in from CA and elsewhere.
Yes to the bland "cardboard" tasting tomato's.

SuperChooch

Explorer
Aug 26, 2011
My father grew the Ramapo exclusively. I haven't seen Ramapo plants since the early 80's when Leddens in Sewell was running full bore.
I miss the Ramapo and Leddens !
I discovered the Ramapo a few years ago and I love them! You can find where they are sold on the Rutgers Extension Servive page. I always get them from Dare's Plants in Medford. They are top notch!

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Thanks for pointing out Dare's. I've never heard of them but will check them out. They say they have San Marzano tomatoes which I got for the first time last year from the Red Top Market. They are terrific.

Pinesbucks

Explorer
Apr 15, 2013
The state needs more open space and less mcmansions. I would have love to have seen the state when my dad was growing up. Now i drive around with my dad and he says that was so and so's farm we hunted wild pheasant and quail there. I have never seen a wild pheasant. I see it more and more. Very sad to see farms and woodlots disappear..