Howardsville.......almost made it.

Yesterday toward the end of a long day I took KenDawg up Howardsville Rd to show him where Howardsville is. You cannot gain access with your car from there and since Ken had slipped on the ice and was a bit sore I walked in for a peek. BEAUTIFUL!!! Having heard whispers that there is a back way in we decided to find it. I think we did find it. We were in sight of the fields at Howardsville when I crashed through the ice. No big deal, I was able to back out but the sun was going down so we decided to try another time. I think my next trip out will be to Howardsville. The little of it that I saw was beautiful.

Steve

B

bach2yoga

KenDawg said:
I'm up for the trip, if you promise not to make me walk on ice again. LOL
KenDawg (who is a little bruised, stiff and sore)

Like your new avatar!

KenDawg

Scout
Aug 10, 2003
South Jersey
bach2yoga said:
KenDawg said:

Like your new avatar!
Like your new avatar!

Thanks Renee !
You know the fall wasn't that was bad, it was the crash landing that sucked. Damn gravity !

B

bach2yoga

KenDawg said:
bach2yoga said:
KenDawg said:

Like your new avatar!
Like your new avatar!

Thanks Renee !
You know the fall wasn't that was bad, it was the crash landing that sucked. Damn gravity !

Well, you just proved all three of Newton's laws of motion!

Speaking of ice, Barry told me he went out to the Blue Hole the other day when everything was frozen over, and true to legend, even though everything else was frozen, the Blue Hole wasn't! Said there was steam coming off of it!

While I was out looking for the forge on Sunday I noticed the ice layer under some of the snow around the trees. The mosses were all frozen inside a large circle of ice around the tree. It looked really cool.

Renee

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
There is a back way into Howardsville. I've driven there several times. The road in, however, is pretty narrow and will scratch your vehicle.

My old Cherokee had a better time at it than my Grand Cherokee. The new truck is a few inches wider.

njvike

Explorer
Jul 18, 2003
Sparta, NJ
home.earthlink.net
bruset said:
There is a back way into Howardsville. I've driven there several times. The road in, however, is pretty narrow and will scratch your vehicle.

My old Cherokee had a better time at it than my Grand Cherokee. The new truck is a few inches wider.

Rats! How far of a walk is it to from the back way? If it isn't too far, I may explore by foot.

bunnymom3

Explorer
Sep 27, 2003
Waretown
www.geocities.com
When you turn onto Howsardsville Rd the first or second right is a trail you can hike back to the fields. It's really easy and no water. There is a wire rope across the trail. The back way in has a puddle with tires you have to cross first then we made it in fine with the Blazer. Some puddles and a few hard tight spots but not to bad. You know your at the back way if there is a huge pit on your left. The puddle with tires in straight ahead.

But the trail off Howardsville Rd. The easiest and fastest way in.

bruset said:
Incidentally a picture from Howardsville (the large tree in the back fields) is the wallpaper on my cellphone. :)

I guess it's not a very large tree any more. :D

I definately want to go explore there. I did go in the way Bunnymom3 described but saw no tires in a puddle. I guess they were frozen over and snow covered.

Steve

njvike

Explorer
Jul 18, 2003
Sparta, NJ
home.earthlink.net
bruset said:
Yeah, it's MUCH easier to walk in from Howardsville Rd than to take the back way in.

Ken, if you're interested in going, let me know. I want to explore the area in further depth.

Ben,

Absolutely. Once I took a look at the pictures you took I knew I had to visit there.

Thanks for the offer.

BTW, did you ever deploy the Jabber client at work? We did and it's been a nightmare. The client itself is so-so because it lacks many of he features that we were looking for. In addition, we've had soooo many problems with LDAP. It's so slow and we're not getting the support we had wanted.

In short, I've been working many extra hours but what else is there to do with this kind of weather other than shovel snow? :rolleyes:

B

bach2yoga

BEHR655 said:
bruset said:
Incidentally a picture from Howardsville (the large tree in the back fields) is the wallpaper on my cellphone. :)

I guess it's not a very large tree any more. :D

I definately want to go explore there. I did go in the way Bunnymom3 described but saw no tires in a puddle. I guess they were frozen over and snow covered.

Steve

Count us in as well.
Renee

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
njvike said:
bruset said:
BTW, did you ever deploy the Jabber client at work? We did and it's been a nightmare. The client itself is so-so because it lacks many of he features that we were looking for. In addition, we've had soooo many problems with LDAP. It's so slow and we're not getting the support we had wanted.

No - I ended up playing around with MS Exchange's IM client. We really don't have any need for it, so I haven't deployed it.

You might want to look at Active Directory for your LDAP solution. It's easier to get up and running and is more or less a LDAP system.

bunnymom3

Explorer
Sep 27, 2003
Waretown
www.geocities.com
Well if you want to go when everything is clear count me in. I'm not trying that puddle before then.....lol but as for walking in off Howardsville Rd. anyone free Sunday? We have plans to go out but hadn't picked a spot yet.

Nykki

B

bach2yoga

bunnymom3 said:
Well if you want to go when everything is clear count me in. I'm not trying that puddle before then.....lol but as for walking in off Howardsville Rd. anyone free Sunday? We have plans to go out but hadn't picked a spot yet.

Nykki
I was hoping to head there Sunday too.
Renee