Howardsville Revisited ..... And the Keith Line

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I was at Howardsville before sunrise this morning and was able to find the tank. I had with me orange surveyor tape and tied a small stone to it.

IMG_3427.JPG

I then dropped it in the hole and slowly lowered it until I felt the tension subside. All during this time sand was flowing in the hole and I suspect it has been for more than 50 years. By the early 1960s the state completely removed all evidence of the town. Well almost :)
Anyway, I then pulled the tape out and it was about waist high. How much sand is actually in the tank would be interesting to know.

IMG_3429.JPG

IMG_3430.JPG

IMG_3432.JPG

I would have to say the smell is not gasoline, but it may well be heating oil.

Guy

WaretownMike

Explorer
Jul 16, 2013
Waretown
I was at Howardsville before sunrise this morning and was able to find the tank. I had with me orange surveyor tape and tied a small stone to it.

IMG_3427.JPG

I then dropped it in the hole and slowly lowered it until I felt the tension subside. All during this time sand was flowing in the hole and I suspect it has been for more than 50 years. By the early 1960s the state completely removed all evidence of the town. Well almost :)
Anyway, I then pulled the tape out and it was about waist high. How much sand is actually in the tank would be interesting to know.

IMG_3429.JPG

IMG_3430.JPG

IMG_3432.JPG

I would have to say the smell is not gasoline, but it may well be heating oil.

Guy
I was out to this spot recently and the underground tank seems to remain

Reactions: MikeBickerson

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I was out to this spot recently and the underground tank seems to remain

Yes. They did nothing. Perhaps they felt it was not worth digging and disturbing it. I bet the red tape to do that would be frustrating.