Howell Iron Works and the Romance of Allaire

B

bach2yoga

I keep getting a blank page. Am I doing something wrong?
Renee

B

BarryC

What version of Adobe Acrobat do you have? Or do you have it at all? When I click on it, it comes up with a message telling me that it might not display properly because I may have an older version of the Adobe Reader. Maybe you do too. Ben will know more than I do.
bach2yoga said:
I keep getting a blank page. Am I doing something wrong?
Renee

B

bach2yoga

Ben, see my private message...it's driving me nuts, every time I try to go anywhere on the site I keep getting the acrobat popping up in my face and then a laborious search for a missing external window handler. I had 3.0, the 6.0 is what I download and am having problems with...
renee

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Renee - Try this:

To disable Web Browser Integration in Acrobat 5.0 or Acrobat Reader 5.0:
1. Open Acrobat or Acrobat Reader.
2. Choose Edit > Preferences > General.
3. Click Options in the list in the Preferences dialog box.
4. Deselect Display PDF in Browser.
5. Click OK.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Ben,

Could her problem be caused by the password message that comes up when the pdf is launched?

Renee,

Since I have a Mac I am not certain of what to do, but on my computer I would delete Acrobat and see if that solves the problem on this site. If so, reinstall Acrobat and try again.

Guy

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
The PDF launches with a Password???

The problem is that she's missing a file. Adobe suggests that to fix it you reinstall Acrobat. Well, she just installed 6.0 and has the same problem as when she had 4.0.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
bruset said:
The PDF launches with a Password???

Maybe it is because I am using Apple's "Preview" program which allows me to view and make pdf files instead of Acrobat. But I still get a message about entering a password to "enable more operations." I was wondering if this may have been causing problems for her but I guess that must not be it.

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/~teegate/pdf.jpg

BTW Ben, that Preview program Apple has is cool! I can make a pdf file instantly or convert pdf files instantly into Gif, JPG, Pict, Tiff, etc, etc.

Guy

jokerman

Explorer
May 29, 2003
Manasquan
I want t thank the person who uploaded the Allaire document. I am in the middle of reading it and am finding it to be the best source material I have come across for the Howell Works site as of yet! I live in Wall Twp. which contains the village and we are always most interested in this site. It has some wonderful detail which is making me want to go wander around there once again!

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
You're welcome.

Also, if you can find it, "Allaire's Lost Empire" by James S. Brown is another great book. I would scan it, but it's not in the public domain yet, so I don't want to infringe on any copyrights.

I used to live in Wall Township, and then later Farmingdale. I love that area.

B

bach2yoga

Ben, Guy, Barry, thanks for the advice.
I added my new scanner (after needing to install the darn drivers 3 times), and the software that came with it included Adobe Acrobat 6, so I reinstalled it. Somewhere between here and there and everywhere whatever it was has worked itself out. Thank goodness! It was taking a full 35 seconds per page to load, and I had to keep minimizing the acrobat and clicking off the error.
But all seems to be well now.
Thanks!
Renee