Piney
Jan 2, 2003
These signs are at northgate.
P1020422.JPG

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I always find it annoying that the general public uses it 365 days a year but when the hunters come they close it down for them. On certain portions of the Parker Preserve property the state has a 40% undivided interest on it which means we all paid taxes for it. To me that means I can go there whenever I want. I am a big supporter of hunters having their right to hunt, but don't restrict our access just because of hunters.

Guy

Reactions: pineywoman

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
I wonder if the preserve is being closed for the hunters or for liability reasons. Since Wells Mills County Park first opened it has had a policy of closing its trails system during the 6-day firearm deer season and the following one-day permit season. No hunting is allowed in the park during this or any other time. But there is land adjacent or nearby that does get hunted and since these days have the highest concentration of hunters in the woods during the entire year it seemed like a prudent policy to enact. Unforunately, managing parks and preserves involves not only the complicated job of juggling accessibility and needs of the various user groups but also managing liability. Perhaps for just one year deer season can be suspended and a season on lawyers can be held. :mad:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Just remember Where the money came from to buy all those WMA in NJ.

That still should not close them down. Who's money pays to patrol them today, does studies to improve them, pays for fire fighting, purchases adjacent land to make them larger, etc, etc.

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
Who pays for WMAs isn't relevant in this case anyway. The Parker Preserve isn't a WMA (nor are county parks). WMAs are also not closed to the public during hunting season.

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
That still should not close them down. Who's money pays to patrol them today, does studies to improve them, pays for fire fighting, purchases adjacent land to make them larger, etc, etc.
Just remember it is less then 15 days.Which gives you 350 days with out deer hunters on the preserve. I pay taxes just like the next guy. They go for things I can not use also . Enjoy your day Guy

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
I always find it annoying that the general public uses it 365 days a year but when the hunters come they close it down for them. On certain portions of the Parker Preserve property the state has a 40% undivided interest on it which means we all paid taxes for it. To me that means I can go there whenever I want. I am a big supporter of hunters having their right to hunt, but don't restrict our access just because of hunters.

Guy

I agree with you entirely. Parker is/was where we go during deer week. We stay in the open and all wear orange, we are very obvious. I also think they vet who is allowed to hunt there. Now I will be forced back into Wharton with the nuts.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com

Guy
I agree 100%. I can live with hunting now they need to learn to live with me.