Hunting Question

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
The "Pine Barrens" is a difficult area to describe as far as deer habitat goes. The habitat quality varies greatly because the area is so vast.
There are agricultural fringe areas in Tabernacle and other parts of Burlington county within the "barrens" that produce trophy 130lb.+ bucks every year.
On the other hand, pick a truly barren area like the Plains off of 72 and a large buck would go 75 lbs.
They also appear shell-shocked and scared because of the bombing nearby.
Here is a link to New Jersey's Outstanding Whitetails.
You cannot determine if a deer was killed inthe barrens, only the county where the deer was taken but it is interesting reading.
http://www.nj.gov/dep/fgw/outdeer.htm

wis bang

Explorer
Jun 24, 2004
East Windsor
I had a truck driver who bragged about the size of the deer antlers from his neighborhood, just in from barnegat. Said they were all the size of a german shepard...had a bunch of kids & they all hunted. He had 3 freezers in the garage...

He brought a hatchback full of huge antlers just to quiet another hunter used to hunterdon county bulls. That car looked like a refugee from a taxidermist shop...

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
I know of a 137lbs. buck harvested in the bamber lake area in 2002, my hunting is all done in the FRM area and north of lacey rd. and my largest buck dressed out at 75 lbs. I have seen a lot of large antlers in the pines but no body weight.

pineypwr17

Feb 10, 2004
thanks

i was just wondering, either antler size or weight....i know that the deer don't get that heavy.

i live in southern ocean county and the largest ive heard of is a 16 point buck...maybe 130 lbs.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Three years ago I saw an astounding Buck in the woods while driving the road from 539 to the old fire tower by the forked river mountains. I have lived in Bamber for 23 years and never saw anything even close. I saw moose in Alaska and New Hampshire too, and while I'm not saying it was that big, it carried itself with the same regal bearing and trotting gait. It was magnificent. It was about 200 yards East of the rye fields and had a huge rack to boot. The woods in that area are mainly big old oaks.

foofoo

Explorer
Sep 14, 2003
the nutrition in the pines off 539 and rt 72 (forked mountain area) is extremely poor. you will get on occasion a good rack but i have harvested many deer in that area with little,none or well grinded down teeth. even those rye fields that the state didnt even bother to plant this year contain little protein. the few oak stands are some sort of red oaks which the deer wont eat those bitter acorns till winter gets bad. they prefer white acorns. the pressure from the big gun clubs keeps the stress level pretty high and they seem take anything with horns. it takes about 5 1/2 years to give a buck all its potential but with the mentality that if i dont shoot it someone else will is still around. i pass on many buttons,spikes 4-s and i know it will someday pay off. i would rather eat a small doe. body wise there probably aint many over 120lbs but the real smart ones become nocturnal and only move 2 weeks out of the year in the rut. that is about the only time you will see a true pine barrens giant. there are many fringe areas of the pines that will produce big deer but in the real pines off 72 and in the pigmy pines they look more like deer from the florida keys. i love hunting there. its so vast- peaceful -and quiet and there arent many hunters till gun season.i would even dare say that hunting the deer of the pine barrens is as tough as it comes. they have been pushed hard and poached for decades and are very skiddish. ive seen them look up at me 25 feet plus high in the air in my stand. i have alot of respect for its ability to survive and adapt.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I live within the boarders of Lebanon SF. I have deer in my yard every night and they have become accustom to my presence there. I have noticed that at night, they leave the woods and congegate on the sides of the highway to graze. I've seen alot of good size bucks this year along the road side. Every time I go in the woods I see multitudes of deer. I even snuck up on a doe who was lying down in its bedding one time. Got real close. This would lead me to believe that hunting deer would be like catching fish in a bucket, but I have heard many hunters say this is not the case.

Perhaps they are not so wary of vehicles as they are of pedestrians/people in tree stands. Come to think of it, I rarly see one when on foot.

Jeff

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
woodjin said:
.....I even snuck up on a doe who was lying down in its bedding one time. Got real close. This would lead me to believe that hunting deer would be like catching fish in a bucket.
Perhaps they are not so wary of vehicles as they are of pedestrians/people in tree stands. Come to think of it, I rarly see one when on foot. Jeff

The smorgasbord we saw at one spot last week certainly makes it easier I would think. A dozen ripe pears and several pounds of good cracked corn. I would think the real task (after selecting a prime spot and setting up your stand in the off-season) to hunting deer that way is having the stones to get up when its still dark and cold out, have the means to buy the right camoflauge equipment and weaponry, hike into the woods when others are still asleep, clear the brush for a clean shot, and have the patience to wait him out. Of course there is certainly some skill in the use of your weapon to nail him while he's standing there eating (without you making noise and spooking him). I think its more of a tradition with people, something passed on. A sport that has a lot of variables and therefore interesting and also something you can do alone. It also gets you outdoors in the woods, always a good thing. Thats just my view as one who has never hunted. I could be wrong in some aspects.

foofoo

Explorer
Sep 14, 2003
bob m you got most of it right. just to let you know baiting deer has only been legal for the last several years. baiting them is no different than sitting near a corn field, water hole or over a rye field or a small stand of whits oaks nestled within the pine barrens. its all food. you will never see most deer or a good shooter buck come right into a pile of corn. they are too smart. mostly yearlings and does and spikes come to bait and they mostly will feed at night. bait is to attract deer from neighboring properties and get them in your general area. you then have to find trails and cover that they use and sit back like 100 yards or so if you want a good size deer. old does are even more weary and a trophy in there own right when you score on one. woodjin has a totally different type of deer in his back yard. you are right by saying you can walk up on them. they have become tamed a bit being around people. if you let a bunch of archery hunters hunt the deer in these back yard type set ups the deer will figure out real quick what to do as they are still a wild animal. try going down 72 near the pygmy pine stands and go out and see how close you can get to a deer. i bet you couldnt even find one but they are there. the next 2 to 3 weeks is the rut mating season so you will start to see much activity.

uuglypher

Explorer
Jun 8, 2005
Estelline, SD
The several dictionaries I've consulted are in substantive agreement that "to hunt" involves a process of searching for something, the actual location of which is not known. That was essentially what we did in the 50's when we went out hunting in central Pennsylvania and Upstate NY. The relative uncertainty of the ultimate result of the "hunt" was part of its challenge and allure.

Years later, when I lived in Texas I was invited for a summer weekend at a "deer camp." It turned out that the purpose of late summer visits to the "deer camp" was to clear the "shooting lanes" thru the yaupon holly and brush that led from the permanent elevated shooting blinds to the sites of automatic corn feeders that baited deer to their sites of certain execution. Sitting comfortably in the blind, the erstwhile Nimrod could conveniently dispatch the deer of his choice without the vulgar necessity of breaking a sweat or having to contend with an elevated heart rate and heavy breathing brought on by the unnecessary work of "hunting."
Made me wonder why the great State o'Texas didn't sell two different kinds of permits; one for deer hunters, and another, more expensive one (for oughtn't satisfying one's manly ego and exercising one's manly prerogatives at one's ease and leisure rightly entail some additional expense..?) for mere "deer shooters"

Just a personal perspective...

Dave

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
As an avid fisherman, I can relate the situation to stocked lakes and fish farms vs. natural, not stocked, bodies of water. Stocked lakes hold little appeal to me and my interest is somewhat unique in that I search out remote fishing grounds comprised entirely of indigenous fish. It is not unusual for me to come up with nothing for quite a while before finding that great fihing hole. What a great feeling it is when you find that spot!

Jeff

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
BTW, I have seen deer in the plains but almost always when on a motorcycle. It is a different situation as the element of speed provides an elevated likely hood of seeing wild life. They must know you are coming but don't anticipate how fast you will arrive. On foot, I can't recall seeing a deer in the plains. For all you hunters, not to worry, I only take the motorcycle in the woods on Sundays during hunting season.

When exploring the plains recently (on foot) I came across something interesting: I was deep in on a deer path when I came across a large piece of plywood (about 6' x 3') covering a hole. It was on a rise near the path. I lifted the board, hoping that a body wasn't under it, to find an empty hole below. It was obvious from some tree clearing along the path that this was a deer blind. Probably an alternative to a tree stand in the absence of suitable trees in the area. Is this legal? I guess it is no different that a tree stand. I had never seen this technique before. it reminded me of a battle ground fox hole.

Jeff

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
woodjin said:
When exploring the plains recently (on foot) I came across something interesting: I was deep in on a deer path when I came across a large piece of plywood (about 6' x 3') covering a hole. It was on a rise near the path. I lifted the board, hoping that a body wasn't under it, to find an empty hole below. It was obvious from some tree clearing along the path that this was a deer blind. Probably an alternative to a tree stand in the absence of suitable trees in the area. Is this legal? I guess it is no different that a tree stand. I had never seen this technique before. it reminded me of a battle ground fox hole.

Jeff

I found something similar Jeff, in the FR mountain area. A guy had dug a hole 30" deep on a ridge side and had covered it with a a pickup truck cap. He covered the cap with brush. During a hunt all he had to do was lift the back window of the cap and fire while kneeling in the hole. He even had chairs in there.

foofoo

Explorer
Sep 14, 2003
there are different types of hunters and fisherman. my buddy says that fly fishing is the only true sport. i think its whatever fits your level of ability and excitement. im not into the texas hunting thing but bottom line if you kill what you eat and its legal i dont care how you hunt. i think a deer in its own environment having sight, sence of smell ,and hearing 100-s of times better than a human level gives it a chance at least. i would rather eat wild game than let the butcher do all my killing of food. some people dont have the tolerance level to sit out in the cold so they build ground blinds. it could be a father and young son or an 82 year old veteran. some may think its lazy but i think it just shows smarts. if daniel boone had the oportunity to use a high powered rifle instead of a musket i think he would jump at it.people have this vision of hunting like the indians use to. tracking an animal is a lost art and requires much time and energy to learn. not so different than fly fishing. baiting is just a tool but no guarantee.better in my freezer than on the side of the road hit by a car that was on its way into one of those communties that just ripped down a couple thousand acres.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
foofoo said:
better in my freezer than on the side of the road hit by a car that was on its way into one of those communties that just ripped down a couple thousand acres.

Speaking of that, it is really getting crazy here in Ocean County with the land clearing. There are chunks being chewed up at 3 places I know of in Whiting and Lakehurst, hundreds of acres are being cleared. Not a good sign for the future.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
BobM said:
Speaking of that, it is really getting crazy here in Ocean County with the land clearing. There are chunks being chewed up at 3 places I know of in Whiting and Lakehurst, hundreds of acres are being cleared. Not a good sign for the future.

I warned you it was coming your way. It is inevitable. Some day in the future the pressure will be so great the state lands will be compromised also. Hopefully, I will be long gone before that.

Guy

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Ahhhh! stop talking about development. You are depressing me. If we close our eyes and count to ten it will go away right?

On a lighter note; I saw an eight point buck today! It was big! One of the biggest I've ever seen. Of course, seeing it in someones yard in Medford was not the best environment to behold such a majestic creature.

Foo Foo, I'd rather see the deer in your freezer than on the roadside also.

Jeff

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
woodjin said:
Foo Foo, I'd rather see the deer in your freezer than on the roadside also.

Jeff

And much better than in plastic bags which I see often :(

And it smells better in the frezer also.

Guy