Hurricane

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I just made a trip to the Hamilton Mall and was a little surprised to see virtually no flooding or storm damage along the way (maybe 15 miles). The parts of Rt 322 that have frequently flooded were dry, for example. Very few downed trees or limbs. There were hardly any signs of a storm, let alone a hurricane. I think this is because the summer has been so dry down South here, as I've posted before.

On the way home I drove through a few of the back streets in Mays Landing, and one of them was closed while workers were pumping out maybe a foot of standing water at a low spot. I did see a couple homes right on the lake with flooded back yards and probably other damage. No doubt there are more problems that I didn't see also. But I was especially surprised not to see any flooding on Rt 322 since that is usually a problem spot.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
you know as ex- national guard myself I wonder if they were the stupid ones or if they were ordered by some jackass up the ladder to go in no matter what because said jackass was not at the scene to take stock of the situation.They may have done this on orders with the attitude you want me to ruin government property then here we go! Then again they could just be young dumb redasses who need to be and probably will be court martialed.Someone need to pay for that,question is who?The engine is trashed if water went into the exhaust and that didn't look like an amphibious vehicle to me.If so they would have still kept going as a boat.Definitely going to be hell to pay somewhere.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I still have not heard from my relative in Vermont. I hope they are okay. That state really has taken a hit from this.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I just received a call from bobpbx. The power in Bamber has been out since Saturday, and they were first told it would not be back on until September 6. They have since changed that to September 3. And he does not have a phone either, and his cell phone does not work at his house. He has to drive a mile down the road to make a call, and he was talking to me parked along the road. It has been a tough few days for him and it will not end soon.

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
That's too bad - is it just the power outage or was his home damaged? There are still a few regulars here that haven't checked in recently and I've been concerned about them.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It is all of Bamber. I believe they have well water also so that causes problems in itself. Bob has mentioned he has a gym at work and I would assume he can take a shower there. He did say it was getting old.

I received an email from my relative in Vermont. This is edited.

Hi there Guy, Barton and Milton came through Irene with no problems. However, in Waterbury where Lucy lives had water three feet deep in the first floor which is several feet above street level. Not as bad as 1927 when the water was two feet deep in the second floor, but still pretty devastating. Most of the East end of town was under water and the streets are now all covered with mud. Not a very good picture. Tom

Guy

fierodoug

Explorer
Jul 12, 2010
Browns Mills
Just got power back in Country Lakes, Browns Mills Tonight. The other side of Browns Mills was still out. Nice to have power and water back! I was starting to go stir-crazy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
084114W5_NL_sm.gif

Hopefully it won't affect us... but now's the time to shop for a generator.... if you can still find one anywhere. ;)

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Maybe Katia won't be a problem for us...

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-...strengthens-expected-to-become-hurricane.html

Computer forecast models suggest Katia will turn into the Northern Atlantic, a maneuver meteorologists refer to as recurving. The move would mean Katia would miss the U.S., which was struck last weekend by Hurricane Irene, a storm that killed at least 40, cut power to 8 million homes and businesses and caused an estimated $2.6 billion in damage.

“Katia is way, way, way out there,” said Tom Downs, a meteorologist with Weather 2000 Inc. in New York. “It is premature to discuss where it is going, but things suggest it will recurve. Five days from now we will have a better idea.”
Downs said the key will be if Katia drifts to the northwest as it moves across the ocean. Such a track would suggest the storm would eventually take a turn and miss the U.S., he said. A more westerly track might mean trouble, he said.

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
Just got power back in Country Lakes, Browns Mills Tonight. The other side of Browns Mills was still out. Nice to have power and water back! I was starting to go stir-crazy
Just got my power back today. We were told 3or 4 days on Monday because a transformer in New lisbon got flooded.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002