I bought a gun and intend to use it.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
"Perhaps most ominously, the deer overpopulation prevents the growth of new trees, especially oaks, because they eat seedlings and saplings before the trees can mature."

I haven't seen that claim about oaks before, and it doesn't seem to apply around here. My property is an oak-pine forest and the oaks flourish, as they do throughout the Southern Pine Barrens. If this were really a problem, why haven't these woods transitioned to pine-oak? But the deer have destroyed any chance of my cedars growing back, the old ones are dying out and deer eat the little shoots as soon as they appear.

As I understand it, deer were pretty much gone from the Pines long ago but the State re-introduced them. And they continue to encourage the population to grow, for the benefit of hunters.

stiltzkin

Explorer
Feb 8, 2022
Medford
It seems to be a real phenomenon, at least in nearby areas.

Here's a relevant study, but this is from North Jersey:

Maybe there are some mitigating factors in play in this area; overabundance of other understory plants they prefer to saplings, for example?

I'll bet someone at Stockton is specifically studying this. They have similar deer exclosures set up.

Scroggy

Scout
Jul 5, 2022
Delaware
What kind of oaks, Boyd? Here in the Piedmont, I don't feel like I see as many young oaks as I should. I wonder if scrub oaks coming up by root sprouting are better sustained by the root network when gnawed? Or maybe the scrub oaks (chinkapin excepted) are less palatable?

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
What kind of oaks, Boyd? Here in the Piedmont, I don't feel like I see as many young oaks as I should. I wonder if scrub oaks coming up by root sprouting are better sustained by the root network when gnawed? Or maybe the scrub oaks (chinkapin excepted) are less palatable?
That's a good question. I had a different question in this vein. I wondered if there was a dearth of oak seedlings on his property, which would also reveal something. But I decided not to ask it it as it leads to other complexities. Overall, I'm going to guess from where Boyd lives, that he has no scrub oaks such as Quercus ilicifolia or Q. marilandica (can grow scrubby). Chinkapin is rare in the pines (now), but I'm not sure if that's true down Boyd's way.

Reactions: Boyd

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
If this were really a problem, why haven't these woods transitioned to pine-oak?

OK, to be fair, that was probably the wrong question to ask. It's possible that the woods around here (Estell Manor) might be transitioning from oaks to another kind of hardwood, although that isn't apparent to me. But I'm a "can't see the trees for the forest" kind of guy. :D

Reactions: bobpbx

TommyP

Explorer
Mar 30, 2022
Clementon
thomaspluck.substack.com
We need to make does legal targets all season for all hunters. Deer are a nuisance, and the coyotes can't keep them in check.
That gun range incident makes me happy for stricter rules. I'm a member of South Jersey Shooting Club, and if someone blew up their rifle with homemade rounds and hurt another member, they would likely be expelled. I keep a trauma pad in my range bag for such idiots.