I found the Pine plains!! thanks everyone here are the photos!

Jason Bladzinski

Explorer
Feb 15, 2014
Avenel
Pussycats compared to other parts of the country. With Ursus americanus your more apt to survive an attack by using spray and fighting back with whatever comes to hand. They use their sense of smell more than sight. The largest taken during the hunts in NJ was an 829 pounder in 2012, one big bruin and one of only about a dozen that size ever taken in the US.

Be careful out there, they are still hungry from their winters slumber :D

http://news.gnom.es/news/alaska-woman-called-heroic-after-surviving-bear-attack-while-jogging
Yeah, but don't fight back against a grizzly, or your toast!

Jason Bladzinski

Explorer
Feb 15, 2014
Avenel
Yea, but just like it says, that was a record winner. Its very rare for them to reach that size here in Jersey because they are just like humans in this state. They too are densely populated, leaving them with less resources and the competition tends to relate to this matter. They say the average camper or hiker isn't likely to actually encounter one, even here, so the chances you'd come upon one that is 700-800 pounds is unlikely

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
700-800 lb may not be the norm, but I don't think that it's outrageous. IIRC from what I've read, we've got some pretty healthy bears here in NJ (many of the probably dumpster bears).

Anyone know stats on average weight for NJ bears vs. overall in N. America?

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
700-800 lb may not be the norm, but I don't think that it's outrageous. IIRC from what I've read, we've got some pretty healthy bears here in NJ (many of the probably dumpster bears).

Anyone know stats on average weight for NJ bears vs. overall in N. America?

That's cause they eat good :D

NJF&W is the place for NJ BB info

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/bearfacts_biology.htm

Avg weight in general from the Bear Center

http://www.bear.org/website/bear-pages/black-bear/basic-bear-facts/34-weight.html

It would appear that Jersey bears are bigger than avg.

Reactions: NJChileHead

HalfTread

May 28, 2017
Mount Laurel, NJ
Thankyou everyone who gave me directions and advice about the pine plains! It took me over 20 mins to work up the courage to finally find the line that I wasnt supposed to cross lol

1280877950.jpg

1280877952.jpg

1280877949.jpg

1280877947.jpg

1280877953.jpg

1280877956.jpg

Thanks for the warning TeeGate!
1280877958.jpg

1280877960.jpg

1280878139.jpg

Some of that dwarf Blackjack Oak
1280878141.jpg

Its actually amazing how diverse NJ really is, some southerners on another forum that I frequent say that this photo and a photo I posted of a typical pine barrens dirt road look like they could easily have been taken in the deep south! Yet you can go up to northwestern Jersey and take photos and Im almost sure people in Maine would say it resembles and area up there... truly a wonderful state we have!
1280878142.jpg

Oh and quick question... I saw a sign near Bass River state park's entrance that they are having a Bear talk??? anybody know about this? Are bears more common now in the pines than back in 05 to where they are having talks about them? Is anybody going????

I truly appreciate your feedback - wife and I went out today to find the same - but we went down Beaver Dam Rd, a short drive beyond Radio Tower Rd, at Warren Grove Recreation Area - came up zero - based on your posting, we'll try again next week.

Beaver Dam Road Photo - 1.jpg

Last edited: