I got out of the woods about 6 hours ago...

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
You know, I've looked, and I still have never been able to see a chigger. I've had many bites, but I've just never been able to visualize the actual beasts. I've found the tiniest ticks ever, but never chiggers. (I have a microscope).

I just spent a couple of days hiking in the Ozarks, and am now covered with chigger bites about 24-48 hours later. Fabulous.

jburd641

Explorer
Jan 16, 2008
Port Charlotte, Fl.
You know, I've looked, and I still have never been able to see a chigger. I've had many bites, but I've just never been able to visualize the actual beasts. I've found the tiniest ticks ever, but never chiggers. (I have a microscope).

I just spent a couple of days hiking in the Ozarks, and am now covered with chigger bites about 24-48 hours later. Fabulous.

Same here Sue, I've had plenty of chigger bites but never an actual chigger sighting.

Sorry to hear about the chiggers. You're in for a wonderful week.

I did get to chalk one up for us humans last week. I found a dead tick in the sock with my prosthetic foot. Must have gotten in there and starved to death. I sure do have the phantom itchies though!

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
The few times I looked carefully and thoroughly and thought I had chiggers, they turned out to be teeny tiny ticks. I am shocked at just how small larval ticks can be.

Perhaps I will get the opportunity to find actual chiggers this summer. :dance:

tugwake

Scout
Sep 15, 2008
Eeeeeeeeeesh!

Never seen one myself, either, and I have quite a few itchy bites right now. I'm never quite sure if they are chiggers, since the tick bites will itch too.

Here's an interesting article in How Stuff Works...

http://animals.howstuffworks.com/insects/chigger3.htm

One of the points made is that they might wander your body for awhile before biting, so the hot shower on return is a good idea.

ahahahascared.gif