I need a fish before I go crazy!!!!

HerringKing

Scout
Jan 25, 2009
Mt. Laurel, NJ
I know the water is still very cold but I thought pickerel loved cold water. I've been out twice so far ( Smithville lake and Mirror lake) without a bite, a bump or even seeing a fish. I was using spinners which might be too fast for this time of year but I can't find any shiners. All I know is if I don't start catching fish soon, I'm gonna go BONKERS!

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
I know the water is still very cold but I thought pickerel loved cold water. I've been out twice so far ( Smithville lake and Mirror lake) without a bite, a bump or even seeing a fish. I was using spinners which might be too fast for this time of year but I can't find any shiners. All I know is if I don't start catching fish soon, I'm gonna go BONKERS!
Ice just broke two weeks ago by me. My bet is they're still a little lethargic for spinners, but give it a week or two. Come a few weeks, they'll be active and hungry from such a frozen winter. Good luck
PS. Stripers just opened on the bay and someone already won some money on an 18 pounder off waretown. Cant wait for some of that, and trout isnt too far off either.

wolfspider05

Explorer
Nov 12, 2004
Riverside Nj

I'll let you know a place thats great for pickerel, the cranberry pumping station behind martha furnace on the Oswego river. I never had bad luck there, and it isn't fished a lot because most people don't want to go out of their way that far just to fish someplace. The water is shallow for the most part, I had luck with plastic worms the most. Also Lake Absegami used to be my hot spot, i'd catch 10 or more with nightcrawlers and a bobber.

HerringKing

Scout
Jan 25, 2009
Mt. Laurel, NJ
I'll let you know a place thats great for pickerel, the cranberry pumping station behind martha furnace on the Oswego river. I never had bad luck there, and it isn't fished a lot because most people don't want to go out of their way that far just to fish someplace. The water is shallow for the most part, I had luck with plastic worms the most. Also Lake Absegami used to be my hot spot, i'd catch 10 or more with nightcrawlers and a bobber.

Thanks. Sounds like a nice spot. Thanks for the hook up. I'm trying to find it on google maps.