I need some advice on GPS.....

wolfspider05

Explorer
Nov 12, 2004
Riverside Nj
oK I am in the market for a GPS device, I have basically no knowledge of them. Is there any that you guys recommend and what do they run price wise? I am looking for something in the 200-300 dollar range. Also is there any that are ideal for a newbie to them? thanks guys

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The initial cost is usually not the end to your spending. You may have to buy map software so check into that closely. And if you want to drive with it in the pines I am sure others will agree that a suction cup mount for the window works well and is almost a must. And if it does not come with a case to carry it with you need to purchase that. And make sure you have plenty of rechargeable batteries.

It adds up unfortunately.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Also, if you have a Windows based computer you might want to download USAPhotoMaps now and play around with it. It is free and you will find you will use it instead of the GPS software that comes with them.

http://jdmcox.com/

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I used a Meridian Gold for a number of years and it is very durable - recently sold to another regular member here. However I switched to the Garmin Legend C for several reasons. First, I like the Garmin topo maps better than Magellan's topo maps. Second, I wanted a color screen. And third - probably most important though - it's smaller and easily fits in your pocket.

BTW, the Vista and Legend are the same unit but the Vista has an builtin compass and altimeter. It costs more than the Legend, so unless you really feel you need those extra features you can save some $ by getting the Legend.

All these handheld mapping units only include a basemap which shows major towns and roads. You won't see much of anything in the pines on those basemaps, although the screen will display a track of where you've been. To make them really useful you need to purchase the topo maps which cost somewhere in the $80-$100 range for either Magellan or Garmin.

Maps are proprietary and can only be used in the GPS made by the same company. In other words, you can't load a Magellan map into a Garmin GPS. Programs like USAPhotomaps and other third party maps are nice for uploading your tracks when you get home and for placing waypoints, but you cannot load their maps into your GPS for display on its screen.

Also note that the topo maps on the Garmin are not auto-routing. In other words, they are just displayed on the screen and the GPS can't use them to calculate a route between points A and B. For this you will need to buy one of their city maps. These maps are nice, and they show more urban/suburban street deail but they don't show very many of the little sand roads and they have much less accurate info on streams, lakes and other geographic features. They also don't show contour lines and elevations like the topo maps.

I'm assuming that you want the GPS mainly for hiking. If you want to do auto navigation then that's a separate topic. I have a Garmin 2620 for that which I really like. The Garmin Quest is a nice crossover product that's designed to work both in a car and in your pocket. These units get more expensive however.

This is a good website to check out with lots of information and unbiased reviews: http://gpsinformation.net/

wis bang

Explorer
Jun 24, 2004
East Windsor
I have the e-trex legend - pre color display - they are still available in the $150.00 range and I think it makes a good 'starter' unit but if I could do it over [and known the color would be out 6 months later] I would have opted for the color screen.

I've purchased the back w/ the button and cell-phone like belt clip as I plan to clip it on the suspender to my camo bibs 'cause the neck cord was anoying and allowed the unit to flip over and loose the signals. I have TOPO USA and Street Atlas. I use street atlas in my laptop and manually transfer items I've located to make custom maps of my hunting and camping places.

Even when you are somewhere known, the trip computer section records how far you walk or drive. Reset this when you leave your car and the route is recorded and is saved until you reset the computer again.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I also have the Legend. Before that I had the yellow eTrex, and in comparing the two I have one major complaint with the Legend.

With my old yellow eTrex the arrow and distance readings were extremely responsive. but the Legend is not. I am always wondering that even when the map is not being displayed and you are using the arrow, that the map is getting priority in the background.

Guy

wolfspider05

Explorer
Nov 12, 2004
Riverside Nj
Ok the Garmin eTrex line seems to be the best buy. I was on ebay looking at some, I like them and the price is reasonable. I want to get into the geocaching thing, and also use it for exploring. I am new to the GPS thing. I appreciate the fast replies. I will let you guys know which one I decide to go with,...so many choices. Thanks guys

ps. what is a waypoint??

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
just a marker that you place in the GPS that has coordinate information.

You'd either use it as a destination (such as a geocache) or as a point of reference (where you parked the car before your started exploring the swamp)