I see you, you see me.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Friday I took a long walk with my dog over by the Chamberlin Branch off 539. I went pretty far back into a heavily hunted area. I found one deer shooting alley where a guy had set up his stand in a tree about 15 feet high. Then he cut a 40 yard by 10 yard swath out of cedar swamp (young cedars were cut too) and hung an elaborate deer feeder. It is a camoflauge 35 gallon drum full of corn that spills out (every once in while I guess?). There was corn all over the ground and a salt lick. I guess he gets in the stand and waits till they are nice and comfy eating away..........then..........POW!

On the way back I spied an area through the swamp that looked like it might be good for summer orchids, so to see it better I walked up a dead tree that was leaning at an easy-to-walk-up angle. I got 4 feet up and looked out over the swamp. I then turned around and looked back through the woods, and there was a guy in a deer stand staring at me. He was about 150 yards away. It was an eerie feeling. I waved.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Well instead of going out to the woods you can now do it all from your computer. This website just won Fortune Magazine's "Worst Product of the Year" award: http://live-shot.com
WORST PRODUCT
Live-shot.com
Here's the plan: Take a hunting rifle, load it with live ammunition, mount it on a motorized platform, connect a videocamera, and patch it into the Internet. Then place the gun in front of a feeding station for exotic animals on a ranch in Texas. (Where else?) With his trigger finger on the mouse of an Internet-connected computer, a hunter in, say, New York City, who doesn't have the time to actually go hunting, can pay a fee, monitor the feeding stand through a web browser, aim the rifle, and "harvest" the blackbuck antelope, axis deer, or whatever other unfortunate creature wanders into the killing zone. Hunting assistants will then butcher the animal and send its mounted head to the hunter. Unless the legislature guns it down, www.live-shot.com plans to offer the remote-hunting "service" by mid-2005. But just for the idea alone, the trophy for worst technology product of 2004 goes to live-shot.com.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
BobM said:
Friday I took a long walk with my dog over by the Chamberlin Branch off 539. I went pretty far back into a heavily hunted area. I found one deer shooting alley where a guy had set up his stand in a tree about 15 feet high. Then he cut a 40 yard by 10 yard swath out of cedar swamp (young cedars were cut too) and hung an elaborate deer feeder. It is a camoflauge 35 gallon drum full of corn that spills out (every once in while I guess?). There was corn all over the ground and a salt lick. I guess he gets in the stand and waits till they are nice and comfy eating away..........then..........POW!

On the way back I spied an area through the swamp that looked like it might be good for summer orchids, so to see it better I walked up a dead tree that was leaning at an easy-to-walk-up angle. I got 4 feet up and looked out over the swamp. I then turned around and looked back through the woods, and there was a guy in a deer stand staring at me. He was about 150 yards away. It was an eerie feeling. I waved.

At least he was not SHOOTING at you :)

Guy

Bobbleton

Explorer
Mar 12, 2004
NJ
Bob--I know how you feel. Tromping at Colliers Mills in the fall is just a horrifying experience. Before this I'd never run into hunters on a regular occasion . . . after one trip i had 2 guys with guns threaten me and about 5 others silently pissed off.

-Bob

wis bang

Explorer
Jun 24, 2004
East Windsor
Bobbleton said:
Bob--I know how you feel. Tromping at Colliers Mills in the fall is just a horrifying experience. Before this I'd never run into hunters on a regular occasion . . . after one trip i had 2 guys with guns threaten me and about 5 others silently pissed off.

-Bob
They should be glad some else is trying to move the deer around. Stand hunting works ONLY if there is other people making the dreer get up and move...Make sure you are wearing some orange though...some guys may shoot first & look later...

wis bang

Explorer
Jun 24, 2004
East Windsor
Bobbleton said:
Well that's comforting.

Unfortunately it hapens. You don't get too many 'do overs' once the trigger is pulled so everyone needs to respect the potential for the 'worst case' situation.

That Bright Orange hat can be seen a long distance. I've spotted other hunters, at great distance, without any aid. I've tried to capture these 'spots' of orange at max magnification w/ a digital camera. using my laptop as a display; I've only been able to find the orange once. The Mark one eyeball really captures that bright orange...

Better safe w/ orange than dead without....

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Out of respect for the pineys that all of you revere as such an integral part of the pines, let's talk about some of the things they used to used to do that are now banned in our current fish and game laws.
(Just so we all don't go into shock over baiting deer.)
First, leg hold traps.
They are now illegal and I don't a piney that didn't use them. Some still do.
String shot.
This was the art of taking a shotgun shell apart and drilling holes in the individual pellets and stringing them together with piano wire. Effectively, if the string formed right on firing, you could cut the deer in half or do other mortal damage.
Waxed shot.
This involved opening a shell and pouring in molten wax to form an impromptu slug. Slugs are now legal but when I took Hunter Safety back in 1968, they actually showed you examples of string shot and waxed shot as illegal projectiles.
Fish hooks and corn.
This is the art of putting kernels of dried shelled corn on hooks with wire leaders anchored to the ground for catching wild turkeys.
So when you feel that the hunters that you come across has an unfair advantage with bait, (and I don't bait) think about the pineys and the "tricks" that they used to make that precious shot at a deer count.
Scott
:)

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
RednekF350 said:
Out of respect for the pineys that all of you revere as such an integral part of the pines, let's talk about some of the things they used to used to do that are now banned in our current fish and game laws.
(Just so we all don't go into shock over baiting deer.)
First, leg hold traps.
They are now illegal and I don't a piney that didn't use them. Some still do.
String shot.
This was the art of taking a shotgun shell apart and drilling holes in the individual pellets and stringing them together with piano wire. Effectively, if the string formed right on firing, you could cut the deer in half or do other mortal damage.
Waxed shot.
This involved opening a shell and pouring in molten wax to form an impromptu slug. Slugs are now legal but when I took Hunter Safety back in 1968, they actually showed you examples of string shot and waxed shot as illegal projectiles.
Fish hooks and corn.
This is the art of putting kernels of dried shelled corn on hooks with wire leaders anchored to the ground for catching wild turkeys.
So when you feel that the hunters that you come across has an unfair advantage with bait, (and I don't bait) think about the pineys and the "tricks" that they used to make that precious shot at a deer count.
Scott :)

If a guy were hungry back in the depression days, and he had kids to feed, I would not blink an eye at any of those methods. In the year 2004, I would not be able to brag about the rack I bagged by baiting with the choicest corn money could buy, and clearing my way by cutting a shooting alley by killing scores of young cedar.

But then you probably agree with me Scott (after a fashion). And by the way, I do like to hear you and Wisbang reply to these type of posts. You provide the hunters outlook and good balance to the forums.

wis bang

Explorer
Jun 24, 2004
East Windsor
My dad has his grandfather's 1863 springfield hanging under his mantle. He remembers seeing it in use as a small boy. It's a percussion cap muzzleoading smoothbore. He used to 'shave' a chunk of lead into a deerskin wad w/ his knife & dad said it made a weird sound when he shot...made large ragged holes in the deer too!

wis bang

Explorer
Jun 24, 2004
East Windsor
BobM said:
If a guy were hungry back in the depression days, and he had kids to feed, I would not blink an eye at any of those methods. In the year 2004, I would not be able to brag about the rack I bagged by baiting with the choicest corn money could buy, and clearing my way by cutting a shooting alley by killing scores of young cedar.

But then you probably agree with me Scott (after a fashion). And by the way, I do like to hear you and Wisbang reply to these type of posts. You provide the hunters outlook and good balance to the forums.

Some of it is the tradition...I have my grandfather's shotgun. He used it during the depression...Our deer camp lease was started in 1928 & the building started in 1933. The two week deer hunt was serious business and fed alot of people...