I still am shaking my head at what i saw today!

JerseyJK07

Scout
Jan 10, 2010
I was out at a job site with my dad this morningout off of 563. On my way home around 9:30am, i decided to take Speedwell rd over to Caranza to cut off a few miles and for a nice little ride. Well about 5 min after turning onto Caranza i had a nice doe coem rippping across infront of me. no big deal right we all see deer. Well right behind it in fast persuit was 2 large COUGARS!!!!!!! One stopped in the road about 40ft in front of the jeep for a split second then took off again chasing the deer! This all happened between Speedwell Rd and Caranza Memorial. So as far as the state saying they are not here.....:thefinger: I saw them. THEY ARE HERE!!!!

And no i did not take pictures becouse i did not have my camera and all this happened in less then 10 seconds!

jokerman

Explorer
May 29, 2003
Manasquan
Holy crap, that is an awesome sighting. I saw a small one in Jackson about 10 years ago. They sound like they might attack people too. Get ready, if that happens they will be gone as soon as they came.

JerseyJK07

Scout
Jan 10, 2010
Holy crap, that is an awesome sighting. I saw a small one in Jackson about 10 years ago. They sound like they might attack people too. Get ready, if that happens they will be gone as soon as they came.

I know. i am camping at caranza next friday and i will be carring!

PancoastDrifter

Explorer
Dec 7, 2008
www.flickr.com
I live for this moment with my long lens and camera on sitting in the passenger seat, although 10 seconds is almost impossible to get a clean shot.

How big would you say they were in relation to the deer?

CorraClaire

Sep 16, 2009
NW NJ
Cougar Sighting!

I knew it. I always knew it. This is how I found this site in the first place! I was researching any truth in the existence of cougars still in NJ, and came across NJPineBarrens. So, please keep us posted on your camping trip! BTW, what county were you in? Thanks!

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Interesting.....cougars really don't live in groups unless they are maybe females with young. Females with young would signify a breeding population. A breeding population in a area as small as the nj pine barrens would be incredibly unlikely. These things have monster home range probably the size of NJ let alone the pine barrens. I spend thousands of hours in that area and have seen no signs of any large cat, be it footprints, scat, scent post, claw marks on trees, etc. Couple that with the fact that a cat with young may kill a deer every few days you would think more deer would be found dead in the woods....I see none and bushwhack through that area alot. Also cougar are ambush predator rarely chasing prey like African lions......I'm not saying you didn't see a cougar I just think it is a low probability of a resident cougar. Was there prints on the road?

gipsie

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
atlantic county
YES!!!! A friend of mine and I saw a couple running across the road down near Millville a couple of years back..... Most people said they did not exist down here. Glad someone else had the experience...

JerseyJK07

Scout
Jan 10, 2010
Interesting.....cougars really don't live in groups unless they are maybe females with young. Females with young would signify a breeding population. A breeding population in a area as small as the nj pine barrens would be incredibly unlikely. These things have monster home range probably the size of NJ let alone the pine barrens. I spend thousands of hours in that area and have seen no signs of any large cat, be it footprints, scat, scent post, claw marks on trees, etc. Couple that with the fact that a cat with young may kill a deer every few days you would think more deer would be found dead in the woods....I see none and bushwhack through that area alot. Also cougar are ambush predator rarely chasing prey like African lions......I'm not saying you didn't see a cougar I just think it is a low probability of a resident cougar. Was there prints on the road?

You are correct. cougars are normally a solo predator. However. When they are with young they will stay together for an extended period of time. Sometimes an extra year or so. Pine barrens are small but there is enough wood land between forests to support quit a few of theseanimals. I have spent my entire life of 32ys in the pines. I hunt drive hike and scout all over it. I have seen signs of scat and faul smells. I have usually found tracks and summed it up to a bobcat. But I know cougars used to be a native animal to the area and belive they are making a comeback slowly. My dad is a licenced registered hunting guied and I have learned a lot from him and others. I did not look for tracks becouse it was 40ft infront of me and I KNOW they wey where cougars. And I know enough not to persure a preditory animal of that nature when they are in a hunting mode while unarmed. Had this been hunting season and I had my 50 cal with me. I would have persued for pictures. I do have pictures of them two winters ago taken in mercer co. Ill find and post them.

JerseyJK07

Scout
Jan 10, 2010
I knew it. I always knew it. This is how I found this site in the first place! I was researching any truth in the existence of cougars still in NJ, and came across NJPineBarrens. So, please keep us posted on your camping trip! BTW, what county were you in? Thanks!

This happened on caranza road in burlington co

mudboy dave

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
atco
opentrailsnj.org
Last night I covered 39 miles and found tracks that I'm unsure of. I pics on my girls phone which she will be sending a little later. I'm no track expert so I will leave it up to you guys to identify. Light was semi poor considering the pictures were taken after 11:00 PM. I saw no wildlife within the 39 miles other than one lonely deer.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Last night I covered 39 miles and found tracks that I'm unsure of. I pics on my girls phone which she will be sending a little later. I'm no track expert so I will leave it up to you guys to identify. Light was semi poor considering the pictures were taken after 11:00 PM. I saw no wildlife within the 39 miles other than one lonely deer.

Did you put a reference point next to the tracks, like a quarter?

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
The last one I took I put my hand next to it. they where about 3/4 of the size of my hand. I wear x-large gloves in work if that helps.

Pulled this from a trackers site, length is 3-5 inches according to the site. The real ones don't actually blink :)

cougtrackanimatedoutline.gif