I'm looking for specific type of campsite.

TheFishMan

Sep 8, 2017
West Long Branch, NJ
Hi all, I am somewhat new to The Pine Barrens but not camping. We have driven through the fire trails and done some minor hiking. Now it's time to try camping there. Here is my dilemma, I would like as secluded as possible but can no longer walk very far. No electricity or water is a plus but some type of bathroom facility is preferred (not required). Are there any secluded sites that can be driven too? What would be the most secluded I could get while walking no more than a mile or so? Thank you in advance.

T

Toothy Critter

If you can drive there and there is a bathroom facility, it won't be secluded. Camping just anywhere you want in the Pines is not legal. You should use a state or private campground. State Campgrounds are pretty quiet if not virtually empty during the week. But mobbed on weekends.

TheFishMan

Sep 8, 2017
West Long Branch, NJ
I didn't think it was legal to camp anywhere I wanted. NJ is too screwed up for that. I'm just looking for smaller sites that would be more woodsy. We are looking for mid October, hopefully there won't be many campers.I can only back pack it for so far. I have never been camping there and know nothing about any of their sites. Hopefully this won't get deleted for a WNJ type of post but I'm looking to take the kids out for the weekend of Friday the 13th.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
T

Toothy Critter

Lower Forge would require leaving your vehicle unattended on a dirt road. I would not recommend this, but do whatever you feel comfortable with. Fish Man, if you go to Reserve America, there is access to "Date Range Availability" which will give you an idea of the least crowded areas at state campsites. You are planning October so I think you may find some good spots. It shows every State camping area in the state and shows the availability of every single site,