I'm new here....

nipsey russell

Sep 15, 2014
Philly Burbs
...as Gil Scot Heron once said.
This site looks very promising and i am ready to explore.
I am a philly boy who discovered the pines last year and try to go a couple times a month to wander around to spot new things and species, but preferably not homo sapiens!

As someone from Philadelphia and most of whose friends say "where" when i tell them about the pine barrens (and as they are about to drive to the jersey shore for the 500th time ...through "where"?), I wonder why people think the shore is somehow better than the infinitely more interesting pines. Its a hard position to defend to those predisposed towards lifeguards, boogie boards, and soft serve ice cream....and prejudiced against brown water, ticks, and fire! But, we have blueberries, lizards, tiger beetles, the jersey devil, carnivorous plants, and apple pie (hill) on our side!
piney_dance.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: John

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Welcome. No need to defend your position; better not to, lest more homo sapiens discover 'where' and crowd us out ;)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Welcome!

Yea, the gif is a little distracting. You might want to just make it into a photo instead. Anyway, I am glad to see you enjoy the pines. If you find anything interesting don't hesitate to tell us what you found.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Is that your name or are you a fan of the comedian?

nipsey russell

Sep 15, 2014
Philly Burbs
well, i wont make the gif into a photo, i made the photos into a gif! that is my kids enjoying pakim pond.
i promise from now on no gifs, only photos, i just got carried away for my first post here.
nipsey is my internet pseudonym. and, i believe it was his birthday yesterday!
thanks,
n

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
The gif is cute, it's nice to see kids enjoying the pines.

I edited this to change an awkwardly worded post. Regarding Homo sapiens, there are a lot of very nice people on this forum and in the pines. I agree with your sentiment that going into the woods takes you away from people for a while and it's nice, but at the same time don't hesitate to reciprocate a smile and a 'good morning'. I feel that the people who I come across in the woods are afforded the same respect and consideration that I give the wildlife (which you also noted). Anyway, just my $0.02.

Last edited:

nipsey russell

Sep 15, 2014
Philly Burbs
i always say hi to passers by in the woods and they usually say hi back! People are generally in a good mood when they are hiking unless they just inhaled a spined micrathena or are scraping a leggful of ticks off.

and yes, they are dancing.

Last edited:

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
Now your comment about the spined micrathena is funny, because I swore to someone just last month that I've eaten at least 100 of them. I keep a 'spider stick' so that I can twirl up the web before walking through now. I thought it was just me.

Regarding the leg full of ticks, God bless permethrin is all that I can say.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I just found so.etching cheaper for higher s then pedestrian......Raid ,garden variety.my friend said let's hit t he woods.I said I a m out of c :) offer spray.he said her we use this.we hit s on www real grassy road s and no fighters.d ok n t know if it's luck or real deal.h e hunts and uses it all the time.sorry about typos.I am on a KINDLE.computer is dead

nipsey russell

Sep 15, 2014
Philly Burbs
i have no idea what manumuskin just said! until you can type on your kindle computers live!

Re spider sticks: in the fall, they are a must. i have a whole selection process to pick the best stick. I like to go where other people arent, otherwise the best bet would be to let someone go before you.

I call micrathenas "face spiders". The condition of walking through the web, invariably at head height, i call "spider face" altho it need not be a micrathena.
I live in fear of someone seeing me spinning that stick in front of me , but i am not made of tougher stuff.

Last edited: